- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
The Toronto Star is looking for an Editorial Assistant. Editorial Assistants provide administrative support to various newsroom departments. The ideal candidate should possess exceptional customer service skills, flexibility, and a strong sense of professional judgment. The initial assignment is expected to be the City Desk.
- Monitor the Star newsroom’s main inboxes, use news judgment to forward relevant story tips to editors
- Manage and redirect incoming calls and voicemails, responding directly to reader emails and phone calls when appropriate
- Design and deploy schedules for various editorial teams when necessary
- Provide excellent customer service and exhibit the Star’s core values when interacting with the public
- Liaise with freelancers, ensure invoices are received and directed to the appropriate place
- Assist with various ad hoc editorial tasks and provide support to editors when requested
- 2-3 years of reception and/or administrative support experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn new software
- Ability to manage a high volume of calls and emails
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and prioritize
- Exceptional customer service skills, a professional and courteous manner
- Experience in print or digital news media is an asset
This position is represented by Unifor Local 87-M. The hours of work for this position may vary based on operational requirements but will conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. This is a posting under Article 8 of the Toronto Star-Guild collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.