Creative Director, The Kit
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
As The Kit’s creative standard-bearer, the Creative Director guardrails the visual direction and standards of The Kit across all platforms.
The Creative Director knows what it takes to create a dynamic brand on multiple platforms and is committed to sustaining high-quality content and design.
The Creative Director is collaborative, positive, motivated, with a record of inspiring staff and delivering captivating work across multiple platforms. They also have the credentials and portfolio to prove it.
- Creative direction and development of The Kit print feature, TheKit.ca,
- e-newsletters, social media and all other platforms so The Kit remains enticing, current and competitive
- Creative direction for advertorials, special issues, white label creative and events
- On-set art direction for editorial and sponsored shoots
- Management of art department staff to lead, guide, and inspire
- Planning and brainstorming of upcoming issues and package ideas
- Goal setting and performance evaluations of art department staff twice per year
- Oversees selection and management of all freelance art contributors
- Identify new visual creators whose work should be featured in The Kit
- Oversees art department budget
- Upholds the quality, values and characteristics of The Kit brand
- Assists with other duties for the good of The Kit
Key relationships and terms:
- Reports to Editor-in-Chief
- Oversees the operations and developments of two editorial designers and one special projects designer
- This is a management position
- Post-secondary degree in Graphic Arts & Design or a related field or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of post-university work experience, including a minimum of 5+ years of experience in a creative design position
- A positive, high energy team player that can embrace the brand
- Strong concept development and graphic design abilities as demonstrated in a comprehensive portfolio, website, etc. which aligns with The Kit strategies and objectives
- Proven ability to combine conceptual, creative and strategic thinking with tactical execution
- Strong project planning and organizational skills; ability to effectively lead work on multiple projects and under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with traditional, online and digital media & can adapt ideas to various media and thinks holistically across channels
- Photography and post-production proficiency; thorough understanding of photo studio production, lighting techniques, and photography skills
- Proficient in Adobe CS
- Keeps abreast of design, cultural and fashion trends
- A team player who is able to act as both a leader and an individual contributor
- Confident and effective communication and interpersonal skills
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.