Team Editor, Wheels (3-month contract)
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
The Toronto Star has one vacancy in the Team Editor classification in the Editorial department. This assignment will be to the Wheels section of the Toronto Star.
The Wheels editor works with editors and partners across Torstar including Hamilton production, advertising, promotions, and digital to manage a diverse array of responsibilities in producing high-quality Auto journalism that attracts new audiences and users. The Wheels section is focused on maximizing appeal with advertisers and generating new partnership and sponsorship opportunities.
This position requires top-notch assignment, planning, and editing skills, as well as the ability to collaborate with many departments and third parties in driving new ideas and revenue opportunities across all Torstar Auto platforms. This editor should be highly skilled in effective story telling for digital including social media as well as experience handling print publications.
The Wheels editor reports to the Director of Content Strategy & Partnerships, Torstar.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Plan Torstar auto content strategy across platforms and publications
- Manage all auto content assignments – digital & print
- Coordinate content management of Torstar Auto and Wheels.ca staff
- Manage Torstar Auto & Star Wheels budget and all financial reporting requirements
- Day-to-day direction of all aspects of Saturday Star Wheels section
- Copy edit all Star Wheels & Torstar Auto content as needed
- Manage production with Hamilton of Star Wheels print section to close
- First point of contact with ad sales & promotions for Auto-related projects
- Overall quality control of all content & aspects of Torstar Auto portfolio
- First point of contact with Public Editor, senior Editorial staff on Auto content editorial issues
- Top-notch design, writing, editing and assignment skills – all platforms
- Effective long-term planning & strategic project management
- Experience pitching, creating and executing revenue-projects and sponsorships
- Knowledge or experience of automotive industry is an asset
- Past experience managing budgets & staff
- 10 years+ working in daily newsrooms
- Well-honed communication and organization skills operating with limited oversight
- French-language proficiency – spoken & written – is preferred
- University degree or journalism-experience equivalent
This position is represented by Unifor Local 87-M. It will be located at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment but will conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.