Digital Producer, 3-month contract
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Digital Producers are members of the digital department at the Toronto Star, whose goal is to create, package, enhance and promote Star journalism so that it makes a meaningful impact on our community and beyond, whether our stories are read on thestar.com, our newsletters, mobile app, social media or other platforms, both existing and emerging. This digital producer contract role will be primarily focused on selecting, workshopping, packaging, and pitching stories for the Together section for publication on thestar.com, newsletters, and other platforms. This assignment will be on the Together section, led by the Team Editor, Together, and the Senior Editor, Life & Entertainment.
- Select, publish, and package stories, using your keen eye for news value and knowledge of SEO, social media, and audience
- Assist the digital desk with posting online stories to thestar.com and other sites and platforms
- Exhibit strong news judgement when selecting, publishing and packaging stories with the Star’s audience and standards in mind
- Brainstorm ways to build the profile of the Together section, including by leveraging social channels and creating social-exclusive content
- Write display copy and SEO-rich web display
- Write SEO-friendly headlines that are gripping to readers on multiple platforms
- Oversee photo research for supplied imagery
- Multitasking under tight deadline pressure
- The ability to be nimble and adapt to changing tactics in an evolving media environment
- The ability to understand analytics in a data-driven environment
- Create and contribute to an environment of growth, demonstrate enthusiasm and support colleagues in their work.
- Uphold the core values of the Toronto Star and the Atkinson principles.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- 1 or more years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with packaging stories and publishing them for digital audiences
This position is represented by Unifor Local 87-M. It will be located at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment but will conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.