Team Editor, Toronto Star (3-month contract)
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
The Toronto Star has one vacancy in the Team Editor classification in the Editorial Department. This assignment will be to the Together section of the Toronto Star.
Team Editors perform or supervise editing, writing, and production duties, and manage the daily news file for an assigned department or section. Team Editors coordinate and guide the work of staff and freelance journalists and collaborate with colleagues to position the Toronto Star brand as the dominant Canadian source of news and information.
The successful candidates will be highly collaborative and thrive working with teams of editorial professionals to plan and generate story ideas and projects that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. They combine expertise in journalism with knowledge of presentation and production processes to curate content that leads to engagement and subscriptions. Team Editors must possess a deep knowledge of the legal and ethical requirements for a news media organization and those specifically described in Toronto Star Policy. To succeed as a Team Editor, you must exhibit a strong leadership orientation and be constantly learning, adapting and providing a teaching/supportive environment to your team.
Team Editor Role & Responsibilities:
- Generate story ideas, assign stories, edit stories, choose visual material for an assigned department or section
- Create and manage content calendar
- Ensure consistency of voice, tone, and approach within the Together section
- Evaluate and edit copy for quality and validity of information; ensuring that all Star content under your supervision is accurate; has no legal issues; has no factual, spelling or grammatical errors; meets acceptable wiring and journalistic standards; is produced in an engaging manner
- Act as a team lead on the small Together team, managing schedules and directing work of digital producer, organizing freelance content
- Brainstorm ways to build profile of the section, including by leveraging social channels and creating content exclusive to social media platforms
- Work with digital producers and editors inside and outside the newsroom to ensure the smooth production of the content
- Work with other managers and outside departments on content ideas, projects, planning and strategy
- Advanced journalism skills with a broad knowledge of local, national and international issues
- Superb news judgment; story-telling, editing and multimedia skills
- Strong editing and writing skills that lead to a conversational daily product that gives customers the sense of a one-to-one relationship with the Toronto Star
- Understanding of digital publishing best practices
- Knowledge of basic elements of design and presentation
- A proven track record of working collaboratively and innovatively.
- Passion, energy and creativity. You are a self-starter and self-motivated with the ability to identify and solve complex problems, quickly and independently
- Leadership skills that can remove obstacles, make decisions and execute
- Excellent communication and people skills, especially working to align functional teams and multiple stakeholders
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven
This position is represented by Unifor Local 87-M. It will be located at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment but will conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.