Political Reporter, iPolitics
- 17 York Street, Ottawa, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
iPolitics is looking for a full-time political reporter with excellent journalistic judgment and strong storytelling skills to join our Ottawa bureau.
We are looking for a reporter who is creative, collaborative, and driven by curiosity. They can work efficiently, independently and as part of a team. They bring original and newsy ideas to the table which are suitable for an online audience. They are able to report on breaking news quickly and accurately.
The successful candidate is comfortable speaking with a cross-section of Canadians including politicians, industry stakeholders, and officials, while seeking out a range of perspectives and building a broad network of sources. They would have an in-depth understanding of Canadian politics.
Strong writing skills, a solid grasp of Canadian Press style and an ability to meet tight deadlines are a must. Bilingualism, video editing and audio skills, and extensive working knowledge of WordPress are an asset, as well as familiarity with data visualization tools.
- File daily news stories for a web-based platform;
- Write newsletters and briefs;
- Cover events including parliamentary committee hearings, party caucus meetings, candidate nominations, parliamentary debates and political conventions;
- Develop the kinds of sources within political circles that allow you to break original stories;
- Conduct multi-media appearances.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Post-secondary education in journalism, political science, economics or a related field
- Three to five years’ experience in journalism
- Ability to report on breaking news quickly and accurately
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to generate compelling, original story ideas for a digital platform
- Able to build up a network of sources
- Experience working independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends is a must
- Excellent interpersonal skills. We like to laugh and we hope you do, too
With your application, please include a resume, a brief cover letter highlighting your strengths as a reporter, and any relevant work samples.
Please note that while we review and appreciate all applications, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.