- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
We are looking for a Junior to Mid level Product Designer to join our Digital Product Team
A Product Designer helps make sense of new business ideas by working through user flows, understanding user needs through qualitative research and creating designs that are validated with real users. A dedicated Product Designer is a key problem solver that works with product managers and developers to create smart designs that our customers will pay for. This role reports to the Director, UX and Design and will be remote for the foreseeable future.
- Work as a member of the UX and Design team, helping to define and design clear, beautiful interfaces and design solutions for web and mobile devices;
- Visualize and verbalize your creative ideas and vision, as well as rationalize solutions with the team and stakeholders
- Gather design requirements, conduct research and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders in order to get clear understanding of both business goals and user needs
- Design digital product solutions that meet or exceed strategic objectives
- Collaborate with core teams to create a better user experience
- Visually present and organize information so it’s easy to understand and find later.
- Constantly explore ways to create a more cohesive experience and enhanced usability across our products
- Test concepts and iterate as findings help define deeper insights and new directions
- Maintain and drive our visual design identity by contributing to style guides, libraries and processes
- Provide quality assurance on creative deliverable
- You have a digital portfolio showcasing exceptional and impactful digital product design solutions (your portfolio should included several casestudies that detail your process)
- Experience designing outstanding digital products
- Experience creating and maintaining a design system/style guide
- Proven ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user- centred design process
- Able to prioritize and manage workload, meet critical project milestones and deadlines, and pivot as needed
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Knowledge and/or experience in the agile process
- Experience with responsive/adaptive design principles
- Experience working in graphic design for a variety of platforms such as Mac, Windows and mobile (iOS/Android)
- UX knowledge and some experience conducting user research, creating flows, designing wireframes and interactive prototypes using industry software (e.g. Invision, Figma, Sketch etc.).
- Good knowledge of design principles and design thinking methods
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively part of a team and to multitask in a high-paced work environment.
- A passion for clean, functional, and elegant interfaces
- Commitment and passion for testing new ideas and iterating on your work to drive business results
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.