- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly-based media company. Its businesses include the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, six regional daily newspapers in Ontario including The Hamilton Spectator, and more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario; flyer distribution services; and digital properties including thestar.com (with local editions in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax), wheels.ca, toronto.com, save.ca, a number of regional online sites. Torstar also holds a majority interest in VerticalScope, a North American vertically-focused digital media company.
The Toronto Star is Canada’s largest daily newspaper and is read in print and across desktop, mobile and tablet platforms by more than 6 million readers every week. Online, thestar.com is one of the most-visited newspaper websites in Canada.
What do we do?
We are a customer-centric team that builds The Star’s digital experiences across the web and app ecosystem. We do this with passion and care greatly about supporting The Star's aim as a news organization which is to engage in the full and frank dissemination of news and opinion and to do so working within the highest standards of journalistic integrity.
We work in a fast-paced, agile environment, releasing features every two weeks. We apply design thinking to all our processes including design sprints, user testing, and AB testing as just some examples.
Where are we?
We are all over the world, but this gig is located at our downtown Toronto office in Canada. Currently, the Digital team is working remotely.
How do you fit in?
Help us develop great digital products! We are looking for a talented, budding, Product Specialist to join our Product Management team.
What will you do?
- Gather business requirements and use cases
- Define useful and feasible solutions
- Apply both quantitative and qualitative product thinking
- Work closely with marketing, engineering, QA and our data teams.
- Demos, documentation and training material
- Whatever it takes to ship!
- More responsibilities and freedom based on your capabilities
What do you need to have?
- Excellent technical and communication skills
- An entrepreneurial and adaptive mindset
- Previous Product Management experience building digital solutions
- Expertise in agile development methodologies and a proven ability to write detailed epics and user stories
- Minimum of 3 years of working experience in product or a related field
Nice to have:
- Experience in the Marketing Acquisition funnel
- Previous work experience in the media industry
- Development or QA experience
- User Experience (UX) Design
- Analytics and Data Science experience
What are the Perks?
- Conveniently located in downtown Toronto (1 Yonge Street)
- Friday office socials (now all virtually)
- Free digital subscription while you work with us
- Team events
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.