Developer, Data Engineering (Open Data)
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
The Data Engineering Team currently seeks a passionate professional to join us as a Data Engineering Developer. We are looking to expand our team by adding an individual who will provide end-to-end implementation support for Open Data driven initiatives. The ideal candidate will help to ensure stakeholder expectations are met, while writing and promoting the writing of high quality of code and ensuring production issues are quickly resolved with intelligent solutions.
- Develop, solution, and troubleshoot cloud-based Data ingestion, processing, and analytics frameworks in an AWS environment
- Analyze, understand, and design highly resilient data processes for Open Data sources to serve various business purposes
- Develop new solutions related to data analytics using a wide array of open sources libraries and Python, driving business value
- Ensure development code is reviewed and tested carefully for scalability and accountability when promoting to production
- Review and document problems related to production and in-development code-based data pipelines and solutions
Who You Are…
- A passionate and focused technical leader who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
- Inspired to design, develop and document the data engineering and ad technology roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics for audience intelligence and client analytics.
- A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency.
- A team-oriented highly motivated contributor who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods, and tools to solve complex business problems.
- Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders.
What You Will Bring To The Team…
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or engineering or relevant work experience
- 2+ years as a software developer or data engineer, with a strong base in OOP and software development processes and concepts
- 1-2+ years experience with data focused development
- Knowledge of RDBMS, SQL, and noSQL data storage systems.
- Experience writing high quality code in Python
- Strong understanding of HTML/CSS Selectors/Xpath and web-based API’s
- Hands on experience with any or all the following: Docker, Airflow, and Jenkins
- Working knowledge of AWS Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, DynamoDB, EMR or related tool sets in other cloud environments in considered an asset
- Experience reviewing, improving, and debugging production-level issues with other’s code
- Experience in digital media is considered an asset
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.