- 211 Pritchard Road, Hamilton, Canada
Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com
The Hamilton Spectator is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced full-time Business Reporter who is skilled in story telling for both digital and print platforms. The successful Journalist will be a talented self-starter who can provide a wide range of stories on compelling and important topics of relevance to Hamilton Spectator and spec.com readers. The successful candidate must have demonstrated ability in web filing on tight deadlines.
- Coordinating with the local news editor to consistently produce interesting and local newsworthy stories told in traditional and non-traditional ways.
- Producing high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Producing engaging multi-media content for website and social media outlets, including video and audio posts.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including evenings and weekends.
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or in a related field.
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid news judgment.
- Competent in using social media and with solid on-line posting skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven, digital first and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Experience in data analysis, mapping, photography, video and broadcasting are assets.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's license.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.