Online Editor - Full Time
- 475 Thompson Drive, Cambridge, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the dynamic world of digital and mobile media. Torstar is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative
Metroland Media Group is seeking an energetic and experienced Online Editor to join its fast-paced newsroom in Cambridge, home to the Cambridge Times, Waterloo Chronicle, Guelph Mercury Tribune and New Hamburg Independent and their online properties www.cambridgetimes.ca, www.waterloochronicle.ca, www.newhamburgindependent.ca, and www.guelphmercury.com.
- Curate website and add content to line-ups.
- Manage newsletter content.
- Ensure content on the website is fresh with an ability to recognize best placement based on significance, timeliness and reader engagement, using analytic tools.
- Ensure compliance of company editorial policy and assist in directing specified editorial operations.
- Enhance copy for online publication, including addition of maps, YouTube videos, etc.
- Push stories on social media.
- Monitor overall site and social media performance and adjust curation where necessary.
- Monitor analytics and adjust site curation to capture maximum traffic and increase reader engagement.
- Engage readers in meaningful conversations to boost engagement and online readership
- Cover some breaking news.
- Write briefs and do rewrites, as assigned.
- Monitor other news sites, social media, etc. for news, trends.
- Monitor internal news wire for content and add to the website.
- Manage submitted events and send events calendars to print.
- Produce lists, quizzes and polls.
- Create and share regular digital reports.
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism or related field and experience in a similar role.
- A motivated self-starter with excellent organizational skills.
- Have experience working in a newsroom environment and working to tight deadlines.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Proven experience with Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite or other social media platforms
- Possess excellent communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Have experience with content management systems
- Well versed in Canadian libel law and CP style.
- Have strong project management skills and experience mentoring reporter.
- Passion for content, new media and technology.
- Strong customer focus.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment, driven for results.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend.
- Must be able to work remotely
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Driver’s Licence.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.