Senior Product Designer
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly-based media company. Its businesses include the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, six regional daily newspapers in Ontario including The Hamilton Spectator, and more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario; flyer distribution services; and digital properties including thestar.com (with local editions in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax), wheels.ca, toronto.com, save.ca, a number of regional online sites and eyeReturn Marketing. Torstar also holds a majority interest in VerticalScope, a North American vertically-focused digital media company.
A Sr. Product Designer helps make sense of new business ideas by working through user flows, understanding user needs through qualitative research and creating designs that are validated with real users. A dedicated Sr. Product Designer is a key problem solver that works with product managers and developers to create smart designs that our customers will pay for. This role reports to the Director, UX and Design and will be remote for the foreseeable future.
What you would do in this role:
- Work as a member of the UX and Design team, helping to define and design clear, beautiful interfaces and design solutions for web and mobile devices
- Visualize and verbalize your creative ideas and vision, as well as rationalize solutions with the team and stakeholders
- Gather design requirements, conduct research and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders in order to get clear understanding of both business goals and user needs
- Design digital product solutions that meet or exceed strategic objectives
- Collaborate with core teams to create a better user experience
- Visually present and organize information so it’s easy to understand and find later
- Constantly explore ways to create a more cohesive experience and enhanced usability across our products
- Test concepts and iterate as findings help define deeper insights and new directions
- Maintain and drive our visual design identity by contributing to style guides, libraries and processes
- Provide quality assurance on creative deliverables
What you will need to be a successful candidate:
- You have a digital portfolio showcasing exceptional and impactful digital product design solutions (your portfolio should included several case studies that detail your process)
- Experience designing outstanding digital products
- Experience creating and maintaining a design system/style guide
- Proven ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centred design process
- Able to prioritize and manage workload, meet critical project milestones and deadlines, and pivot as needed
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Knowledge and/or experience in the agile process
- Experience with responsive/adaptive design principles
- Minimum 5+ years of working experience in graphic design for a variety of platforms such as Mac, Windows and mobile (iOS/Android)
- Strong UX knowledge and experience conducting user research, creating flows, designing wireframes and interactive prototypes using industry software (e.g. Invision, Figma etc).
- Expert level proficiency in Sketch and deep knowledge of design principles and design thinking methods
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively part of a team and to multitask in a high-paced work environment
- A passion for clean, functional, and elegant interfaces
- Commitment and passion for testing new ideas and iterating on your work to drive business results
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.), Pension Plan combined with a generous vacation plan
And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.