- 475 Thompson Drive, Cambridge, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the dynamic world of digital and mobile media. Torstar is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative
The Cambridge Times is currently recruiting for a temporary full time Reporter (4 Months).
- Report, write, assign and edit in a breaking news environment where the primary focus is on digital information.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and Torstar Community brand's customers.
- Report engaging stories and digital content for multi-platforms.
- Understand how to explore, create, navigate and publish information using non-traditional and emerging information platforms.
- Understand and demonstrate use of digital tools and diversity of information such as social media links, embedded content and video work.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including weekends.
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or in a related field.
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid news judgment. Someone who thinks “web first.”
- Demonstrated skills using social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members. Be comfortable with ambiguity and ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Experience in Photography, Video and Broadcasting.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
- Must be able to work remotely.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.