Site Reliability Engineer
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly-based media company. Its businesses include the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, six regional daily newspapers in Ontario including The Hamilton Spectator, and more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario; flyer distribution services; and digital properties including thestar.com (with local editions in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax), wheels.ca, toronto.com, save.ca, a number of regional online sites and eyeReturn Marketing. Torstar also holds a majority interest in VerticalScope, a North American vertically-focused digital media company.
Work with us
TheStar.com and our other media and information sites and apps serve millions of readers per month across multiple channels. To grow and evolve the team, we’re looking for creative and hardworking leaders with a passion for problem solving in the challenging space of modern news media.
The job in a nutshell
· Run daily operations for websites reaching millions of Canadians daily
· Use metrics/kpi’s to help determine platform health and take action
· Manage our customer and payment platforms
· Continuously improve our automation – write code, write tests, analyze outcomes
· Lead the recovery of incidents, run retrospectives
· Be willing to participate in on-call support
- Extensive knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a must.
- Knowledge of Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) 6.x including experience scaling out author, publishers and dispatchers in a multi-site environment is a major asset.
- You have extensive Linux and scripting knowledge but can work on Windows and IIS when you have to.
- You’ve run large web sites before – you understand CDN’s and what breaks when sites scale.
- A desire to share knowledge and collaborate within an enthusiastic technical team
- Security minded - bad security groups or ACLs bug you.
Stuff that’s not on a resume:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Driven and organized self –starter, with excellent planning skills
- Constructive negotiator, pragmatic and decisive
- Thrives on being on the leading edge – not afraid to iterate and try new things
- Excels in a very collaborative, fast paced environment with highly interactive processes
- Excellent planning skills, highly organized and detailed person
· Competitive pay
· Yearly Bonus
· Great benefits
· Defined Benefit Pension Plan
· On-site bike parking
· Waterfront location
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.