Managing Editor, iPolitics
- 17 York Street, Ottawa, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
iPolitics is looking for a full-time managing editor who has experience assigning reporters and editing copy to lead and mentor a team of burgeoning political journalists. Newsroom experience is essential. The successful candidate will perform the assignment and senior editor function for online news content, newsletters, opinion pieces, political and policy analysis, social media distribution channels and multi-platform content. There will be an ongoing requirement to manage and co-ordinate the editorial team with independent judgement; they will be a teacher as well as an editor. We are looking for someone who is creative, collaborative and takes the initiative for product development. The role requires strong leadership skills and impeccable news judgement, as well as the application of analytics to help us determine what the readers want and how to drive subscriptions. The managing editor will have an extensive network of sources and is comfortable speaking with a cross-section of Canadians including politicians, industry stakeholders and officials. Must have an in-depth understanding of Canadian and Ontario provincial politics and election coverage experience. Employs strong writing skills with a solid grasp of Canadian Press style journalistic standards and practices. Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines are essential. Bilingualism, audio-video editing skills, and extensive working knowledge of WordPress are an asset.
• Plan, organize and co-ordinate content for daily political news and special coverage that works for all platforms
• Assign reporters; research, write and edit copy as necessary
• Help reporters tell political stories in real time and include alternate visual elements that drive the narrative
• File daily news stories; cover events including parliamentary committee hearings, party caucus meetings, candidate nominations, parliamentary debates and political conventions as necessary
• Liaise with National Press Gallery
• Write, edit and post newsletters and briefs
• Select content for syndication in collaboration with Torstar editorial
• Apply metrics and analytics to help us determine how to best reach our audience
• Know how to turn readers into subscribers by helping reporters tell relevant stories
• Identify, develop and maintain contacts for assignment
• Moderate events and conduct multi-media appearances
• Commission content as required
• Evaluate the performance of content, personnel, and freelance contributors
• Ensure the proper and accurate copyright clearance of all published material
• Responsible and accountable for managing budget
• Plan and facilitate resource requirements, including freelance contributors and other participants, in collaboration with the Publisher and VP Business
• Work collaboratively with internal teams including iPoliticsINTEL and business
Post-secondary education in journalism, political science, or a related field.
Seven years of solid journalistic experience including at least three years of political and policy coverage. Editing experience in a digitally focused political newsroom. Superior writing, editing, and organizational skills. Proven ability to generate compelling, original story ideas for a digital platform. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to think strategically through projects and communicate ideas effectively. Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with internal teams. Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends. Excellent interpersonal skills. We like to laugh and we hope you do too.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.