Senior Legal Counsel and Acting Chief Privacy Officer
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly-based media company. Its businesses include the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, six regional daily newspapers in Ontario including The Hamilton Spectator, and more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario; flyer distribution services; and digital properties including thestar.com (with local editions in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax), wheels.ca, toronto.com, save.ca, a number of regional online sites and eyeReturn Marketing. Torstar also holds a majority interest in VerticalScope, a North American vertically-focused digital media company.
We are looking for a practised lawyer with experience in privacy and anti-spam compliance and negotiation of complex IT and other commercial agreements to fill a 15-month contract position within the legal department in Toronto.
As a member of our HIGH PERFORMING team, your responsibilities will include:
- Legal advice, guidance and support on privacy and anti-spam governance and compliance, including monitoring and providing advice on legislative changes;
- Drafting, review and negotiation of a broad range of commercial agreements, including software-as-a-service (SaaS), software licensing, content licensing, marketing, sponsorship, confidentiality, professional services, and other agreements as required;
- Timely and actionable legal advice on marketing materials;
- Legal advice, guidance and support on intellectual property matters, including advice on intellectual property rights enforcement and trademark registrability and branding;
- Corporate and board support as required, including attendance at board meetings and preparation of board materials and minutes;
- Legal advice, guidance and support on strategic initiatives; and
- Any other matters as assigned from time to time.
What you need to be successful:
- 7-10 years of relevant post-call experience
- Good standing as a member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Excellent communication and drafting skills that enable you to communicate key information directly and effectively, in a manner that is appropriately tailored for the audience and instills a sense confidence
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Sound legal and business judgment
- Highly developed negotiation skills, and the ability to quickly get to the key issues and present persuasive legal positions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders
- A demonstrated leadership style and work behaviours that align with our core cultural values: Selfless, Focused, Agile, Collaborative and Results Driven
Why you will love working here:
The unique opportunity to work for a diversified media company and expand your skills in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.