- 11 Main Street East, Huntsville, Canada
Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland. Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
- A keen interest in reporting on and investigating education
- Ability to take quality photographs and video, and edit for publication
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style
- Coordinate with the local news editor to consistently produce interesting and local newsworthy stories told in traditional and non-traditional ways
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis
- Produce engaging multi-media content for website and social media outlets, including video and audio posts
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including evenings and weekends
- At least one year of experience working in a newsroom environment
- Strong interviewing, social media and online journalism skills
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic
- Photography and videography skills
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Driver’s License
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style)
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members
- Experience in data analysis, mapping, photography, video and broadcasting are assets
Diversity & Inclusion
As a media company with a long history of championing equality for all, Torstar is uniquely positioned to learn from our past, to give voice to the present through our news coverage and providing opportunities in our pages and on our websites for frank, honest and open conversations about race and diversity and to help provide guidance and examples for future generations. Fundamentally, Torstar is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, religion, national origin, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.