COMMUNITY COORDINATOR (INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR)
- 1 Wellington Street, Stratford, Canada
Why We Need You:
A new digital news + community information website is launching in Stratford, Ontario. Community content will complement the local news and is a cornerstone for the initiative. Community content is provided by local teams, clubs, volunteer organizations, cultural groups, municipal government, etc. The goal of the site is to be a trusted, frequently updated local community hub where residents and visitors get their local needs met.
We are looking for a Part-Time Community Coordinator (Independent Contractor) to assist with the launch of the new site and to manage ongoing operations of the site. This is a 6-month engagement where you will be able to work from home as an independent contractor, with potential to extend. You will be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week but have the flexibility to create your own working schedule based on the duties of the engagement.
What You Will Do:
The primary functions of the Community Coordinator (Independent Contractor) are as follows: content creation and working with local business owners and community groups.
- Identify community groups, businesses, and other organizations and encourage them to participate.
- Source freelance journalists to write editorial for the site. Discover and share story ideas with the writers.
- Ensure major community events (sports registration, festivals) are published in the events calendar.
- Work with municipal governments to position their content on the site.
- Manage social media accounts.
- Post “quick updates” type of content, e.g. store openings, road closures, new buildings, events coverage, etc.
- Connect with local business owners about local advertising opportunities.
Who You Are:
- Located in the community, highly connected within the community and passionate about the community.
- Extremely well-organized.
- Enjoy working independently and a self-starter. Setting your own hours.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Strong social media and online research skills.
- Excellent communicator -- in writing, in person and on the phone.
- Experience as a journalist is an asset.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of a farseeing progressive media company with a long, proud history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media.
- Being at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
- You’ll be proud of the work you are doing, because you can feel confident that what you are doing does matter and reverberates throughout the communities we service.
…and let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.