Digital Producer, Toronto Star
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
Digital producers are members of the digital department at the Toronto Star, whose goal is to package, enhance and promote Star journalism so that it makes a meaningful impact on our community and beyond, whether our stories are read on thestar.com, our newsletters, mobile app, social media or other platforms, both existing and emerging.
Working with editors and reporters across the newsroom, the Digital Producer will help identify and enhance material that has top story potential for a digital subscription environment, with a focus on thestar.com. Your strong news judgement and enhanced digital skills give our stories power and impact; your suggestions may extend to graphics, video, and social media. The Digital Producer reports to the Digital Editor.
The digital desk operates 24/7 and evening and weekend work will be required.
- Responding to breaking and live news with urgency and authority; this may include writing early first versions of stories
- When responsible for thestar.com homepage, curate and edit the lineup of thestar.com, optimizing the mix and range of that lineup with newsworthiness, our brand and audience, and reader engagement in mind.
- Produce and package stories in a creative and innovative way.
- Respond in real-time to changes in audience patterns on social media platforms with content tailored for each specific platform to ensure that content is attaining sufficient audience engagement.
- Offer new material off the news of the day – or in advance of the news – and suggest and implement creative ways to enhance The Star’s journalism.
- Align with SEO and social media best practices, the behaviour of our readers and visual appeal to grow audiences by compiling and analyzing data on our readers and share these lessons with colleagues for the purpose of shaping content.
- When required, track stories identified for enhanced attention, provide metrics so effectiveness can be measured, and big wins can be celebrated.
- With senior management and department heads, strategize and execute the most effective timing for story release and promotion, and help to coach your colleagues on same.
- Create and contribute to an environment of growth, demonstrate enthusiasm and support colleagues in their work.
- Uphold the core values of the Toronto Star and the Atkinson principles.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience.3 or more years of experience in newsgathering and presentation at high-traffic news websites, demonstrating the skills, knowledge, and ability described above.
This is a notice of vacancy in the Torstar.com department under the collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.