- 55 King St, St. Catharines, ON L2R 3H5, Canada
Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of online products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
Torstar is excited to be participating in Canada’s new 'Local Journalism Initiative' which aims to which aims to promote local journalism in previously underserved communities in Canada.
The Niagara Falls Review is seeking an energetic, keen Reporter with a degree in journalism or equivalent for a unique and exceptional opportunity.
During this temporary full time you will be expected to produce a minimum of 5 stories weekly and report to the Niagara Falls Review’s Editor. There is an expectation your stories will all be published in the Peterborough Examiner’s print and web edition. Your stories will be available for upload to other media outlets and the many Torstar publication websites. The contract ends March 31, 2021.
Your salary will be paid to you by Niagara Falls Review through a grant from The Government of Canada.
- A keen interest in reporting on and investigating a wide range of issues, specifically a blend of daily stories and deeper features involving the education sector in the Niagara region
- Post content to website and social media site on a daily basis
- Take quality photographs and adjust for publication
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas.
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- You will be expected to report on: The education sector, specifically as it pertains to Niagara region
- At least one year of experience working in a newsroom environment
- Strong interviewing skills
- Strong social media skills
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic
- Strong skills in online journalism, including social media
- Photography and videography skills
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Driver’s License
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.