- 66 Bowes Street, Parry Sound, Canada
Metroland Media is a dynamic media company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, and provide local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland. Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
The Parry Sound North Star and Almaguin News are pleased to be participating in Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative, which aims to produce civic journalism for underserved communities. With the support of the program, we’re excited to be hiring a journalist to cover part of the municipal beat in East and West Parry Sound. This journalist will be skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms.
As a Municipal Reporter, you will be responsible for covering these areas, attending council meetings and reporting on stories that matter to the residents in areas of municipal governance, socioeconomic issues, housing and the environment.
- Coordinate with the managing editor to generate fresh and interesting news and feature stories.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
Other duties as assigned.
• Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
• Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven to enable the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy, photos and video on deadline.
• Proven news judgment.
• Strong social media skills.
• Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
• Must be able to work remotely.
• Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
• Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
• Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's license.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements