Indigenous Issues Reporter
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
The Toronto Star is pleased to be a participating in the Local Journalist Initiative, which aims to produce civic journalism for underserved communities. With the support of that program, we’re excited to be hiring a journalist to cover Indigenous issues in Toronto.
As a Toronto Indigenous issues reporter, you will cover the urban Indigenous community in Toronto and issues of concern to urban Indigenous peoples.
The successful candidate has a strong voice and is able to craft compelling stories that reach wide audiences. You collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsrooms and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. You are a master of intelligent, conversational and visual story-telling. You are digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling and incorporate feedback from customer analytics.
- Meaningful professional experience at a major daily metropolitan newspaper
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep knowledge of current affairs, and particular sensitivity and understanding of complex Indigenous issues.
- Excellent news judgment
- Advanced writing, multi-media, and story-telling skills that lead to a conversational daily product
- Interview and newsgathering skills and instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Able to develop and maintain contacts and sources, skillfully interview people in often-demanding situations and show resourcefulness
- Familiarity with access-to-information procedures and databases
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Passion, energy and creativity
- A self-starter who comes up with own story ideas.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven to enable the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Strong social media skills, and an eye to data analysis
- Well versed in CP style
- Photo and video experience an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.