Accounts Payable Specialist
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Delivery Ink (DI) operates the largest print distribution network in Canada. We provide best-in-class last mile delivery services for print Publishers in Ontario, making daily deliveries hundreds of thousands of households, retailers and other business locations in the Province. DI is a Partnership entity owned by Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail and distributes products for both our Partner owned and third-party clients.
This is an exciting time to be at DI as we are making big and bold changes to grow our business. Our vision is to increase the number of print publications that we deliver and build a last mile parcel delivery operation and integrate into our distribution network. Additionally, we are currently leading operational and financial systems transformation project to better enable and enhance our business growth.
Reporting to the Finance and Accounting Manager, the Accounts Payable Specialist will be responsible for processing invoices and processing weekly payment (EFT and Cheques). The individual is also responsible for preparing and processing selected elements of the billing cycle in both accounts payable (AP) and certain additional accounts receivable (AR) transactions as well as performing supporting administrative and clerical tasks related to billing. Since DI is a 3rd Party Logistics Company, the billing function is a clearinghouse for all Client and Vendor operating and other financial transactions. All tasks are aligned to ensure timely, efficient and accurate transaction processing, document administration and distribution.
- Take a lead role in AP processing function, and act as a day to day liaison between DI, its vendors and clients. Guarantee accuracy, consistency, and timely completion of the accounts payable process.
- Prepare and process selected AP settlement expense invoice transactions, and related document administration and distribution (i.e. delivery credits, complaint chargebacks, gas subsidies, incentives, wait times, press delay, trucking, HD/SC other, etc.).
- Reviewing all invoices for accurate GL coding, ensure appropriate documents and approvals are in accordance with policies, investigate any discrepancies and maintain payable record reports.
- Prepare monthly accruals, complete accounts reconciliation, process month/year-end journal entries and financial analysis for AP and other applicable accounts. Reconciles various accounts by identifying errors in posting or omissions by applying appropriate accounting standards.
- Administer all AP/AR invoice documents generated from the above preparation including the facilitation of documents between DI and its various clients and suppliers (PDF prep and distribution via email, FTP, etc.), and electronic document filing/management internally.
- Research and resolve a variety of routine internal and external inquiries concerning invoice discrepancies, account status, and provide appropriate resolutions.
- Assist in selected contract administration duties, and document management as needed to support Department.
- Assist the F&A Manager with miscellaneous finance and administrative duties (bank deposits, wire transfers, supplies management, administration general, etc.).
Additional Duties and Functions
- Identify and implement enhanced AP and AR control procedures and business process betterments, automation, and training and development within the Finance Department.
- Participate and assist where possible in the project to migrate Financial systems to a new ERP system, including automation of existing manual business processes where applicable.
- Support various other departments/company projects and initiatives in areas of Finance, IT and Administration.
- Post-secondary education in accounting, finance or business administration or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ experience in similar role incorporating billing processing and accounting activities along with additional Finance Department analyses and administration.
- Highly proficient in MS Office, especially Excel with advanced knowledge and experience with formulas, pivot tables, v-look ups, etc.
- Self-driven and results oriented with the ability to work independently
- Proactive worker with problem solving ability including recommendations of potential solutions to issues.
- Ability to multi task coupled with strong organization and priority setting skills to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with focus on continuous improvement.
- Good working knowledge and experience in accounts payable and accounts receivable. General accounting knowledge and experience maintaining general ledger accounts a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail and high level of accuracy with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Change management skills are a plus as DI is growing rapidly, and effective adaptation is critical.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience in client service is a plus.
- Experience with month end financial reconciliations, analysis and closing processes are a plus.
- Distribution and logistics industry experience is a plus but not required.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.