Senior Data Engineer
- Kärlicher Str., 56218 Mülheim-Kärlich, Germany
TOMRA Food designs and manufactures sensor-based sorting machines and integrated post-harvest solutions for the food industry, using the world's most advanced grading, sorting, peeling and analytical technology. The Company's mission is to enable its customers to improve returns, gain operational efficiencies, and ensure a safe food supply via smart, usable technologies. With the ambition to develop and provide superior services that help our customers and their customers.
The Data Engineer has mainly two tasks: Creating data pipelines for the data science team and designing optimal data architectures in collaboration with the cloud infrastructure team. Besides that, following up on different leads, staying up to date with respect to the latest technologies, tools, and trends in data engineering, and communicating the findings is their passion and motivation.
Role and Responsabilities:
- The Data Engineer is responsible for the following topics:
o Creating efficient data pipelines (such as ETL jobs) that consume raw data from various sources and ingest it into datasets, both in batch and streaming mode
o Analyzing raw data and conducting data quality checks
o Optimizing various kinds of data sources within the company regarding their eligibility for data science
o Supporting the implementation of an advanced digital operations center, monitoring and running all data engineering services of TOMRA Insight
o Carrying out data analyses and minor data science projects requested by colleagues
o Consulting colleagues in Data Engineering related questions, especially regarding Databricks
o TOMRA thought leadership in data engineering
- The Data Engineer is closely linked and coordinates activities with the TOMRA business divisions, including, but not limited to R&D, Core R&D, Engineering, Product Management, Service, but also by directly working with the Product Owner, Lead Cloud Architect, Senior Data Scientist, and the Head of Digital Operations and the respective teams, such as the Machine Intelligence team.
- Becoming an active thought leader and internal advisor for data engineering in the respective industries in which TOMRA is active (Food, Recycling, Mining).
- Working closely with universities, manage co-operations, and ensure state-of-the-art knowledge in data engineering to be transferred to TOMRA Sorting.
- Representing TOMRA Sorting at scientific events in the area of data engineering to support the thought leadership claim and attract new talents.
- Building up and seeking employment of new capabilities in the field of data engineering.
- Overlooking and maintaining financial budgets and targets and implementing and reporting on respective key performance indicators.
- Master’s degree or higher preferably in computer science, natural science, or engineering with a focus on data engineering – alternatively 5 years of work experience in a similar role.
- Background and experience in data engineering, e.g. building production-ready data pipelines, designing data architectures, using various database technologies, conceptualizing data management frameworks, …
- A pragmatic & hands-on and structured approach with a mentality to not give up easily, once data engineering challenges get more complex.
- Experience with relevant data engineering environments, e.g. data analytics platforms such as Azure Data Explorer, databases management systems such as SQL, tools within the Apache ecosystem and their cloud counterparts such as Databricks (preferably in Azure), …
- Experience in programming languages, preferably Python, SQL, Kusto Query Language (KQL), …
- Nice-to-have: Experience with business process automation and the respective software, such as UiPath.
- Believing in globally distributed, cross-functional network organizations. Flexibility to work outside standard office hours due to team members located in New Zealand, Europe, US, and China.
- Eloquent and empathic communicator (spoken and written) being able to convince, inspire, and lead in a network organization. English is a must, other languages are welcome.
- Willingness to learn something new and shape the future every day.
- Networking and empathy to understand the colleagues’ needs related to data.
- Willingness to travel internationally (<25%).