Community & Events Manager
We set out to make beer that tastes amazing and does amazing things too. That’s why we brew with surplus bread, turning leftover loaves into liquid gold. What’s more, 100% of our profits go to environmental charities.
We have a Big Hairy Audacious Goal to rescue 1 billion slices of surplus bread. This is our guiding purpose. We also have a wider impact strategy to support a shift to a more sustainable food system.
We’re listed in national retailers (Waitrose, Ocado, Co-Op), served on board British Airways, in hotels and restaurants such as Hilton and Wahaca and venues such as Tate galleries, ExCeL London and Stamford Bridge.
In March ‘23, we opened our first taproom - Good Company (www.goodcompany.london). It is a collaboration with Change Please coffee, a social enterprise that supports people who have experienced homelessness. This venue is also where our office is based.
In January ‘24 we will open a microbrewery in Milton Keynes. As we contract brew our core range, this will be the first brewing facility managed by Toast and give us the opportunity to brew special seasonal beers.
We’re a Certified B Corp (which means a responsibility to care for our employees is written into our Articles), and a top rated company in Escape the City’s Top 100 companies.
The Community Manager is a new role that will nurture and grow our community of Toast drinkers - our barstool activists - and engage them to deliver on our impact goals.
In particular, this role will lead on events at Good Company in Central London to make it a hub for socially and environmentally-led organisations; lead on events at the new microbrewery in Milton Keynes, and support Toast’s presence elsewhere (particularly at sustainability-led events).
- Creating an events strategy for Good Company tap room.
- Organising regular Toast-led events at Good Company tap room to generate revenue.
- Increase footfall for Good Company tap room during regular opening hours and attract bookings by external organisations.
- This includes managing the Good Company social media, website and any other appropriate platforms (creating content, scheduling posts, responding to DMs etc)
- This will involve working collaboratively with the Toast marketing manager and the Change Please social media manager.
- Work with the Toast brewer in Milton Keynes microbrewery to organise and manage brewery tours/talks.
- Delivering talks about Toast’s mission and tastings of our beer range where requested by event (at Good Company or with corporate customers at other UK sites).
- Supporting the Toast team to devise broad campaigns that engage our community in positive action as part of our impact strategy.
- Booking in talks for the Toast leadership team to deliver.
- Support on capturing the impact KPI measures across the Toast business and working with the COO on our impact engagement strategy.
- Be a leading advocate within the business for our membership of impact organisations such as Social Enterprise UK and B Corp.
We need someone who has:
- Experience in event management and marketing.
- Positive energy and a willingness to get stuck in.
- Self confidence and an ability to work independently (time management, self-motivation etc) as well as being part of a team (a good communicator and collaborator).
- Great presentation and relationship building skills
- Passion for our mission and motivated to create environmental impact
- Enjoy beer - an excellent brand ambassador.
- You will likely have a great personal network of many other BCorps, Social Enterprises and charities.
It would be an added bonus, but not essential, if you have:
- Experience working in a start-up environment with a challenger brand
- Experience working in the drinks industry
You must be eligible to work in the UK
We are an inclusive employer and encourage applications from people with a diverse background. No university degree is required. We are also an Includability committed employer and a Disability Confident Committed (Level 1) scheme member committed to attracting, recruiting, developing, and retaining disabled people in the workplace.
Start Date: January/February 2023
Contract terms: Full-time employee (though open to part time for right candidate)
Location: 17-19 Triton Street, London NW1 3BF
Compensation: £30,000, plus bonus
Benefits: 3% pension contribution, equity stock options, discounted beer, 25 days holiday plus flexible use of bank holidays, 2 paid days leave for volunteering.
Deadline to apply: Until role filled but please submit by 8 Jan 24 when we'll review applications.
How to apply: Submit your CV & a cover note explaining why you think you're a great fit for the role. Due to the high number of applications, those without a covering note will not be considered.
All your information will be kept confidential according to GDPR guidelines.