Data Scientist (Remote in US)
- Remote Position, Remote, REMOTE, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Seeking Full-Time Data Scientist, Remote Work
Thresher. Thresher helps organizations find high-value signals hidden in the noisy world of human-generated text data. This includes manipulation signals such as bot activity and the spread of disinformation. We combine signal-rich proprietary data, novel AI-powered technology, and world-class expertise to decode the Chinese Government's manipulation of the information space to deliver valuable insights to our US government and Fortune 50 clients.
Our data science team at Thresher builds tools and techniques to help uncover, analyze and frame insights hidden in these manipulation signals for our SMEs and clients. Projects can range in scale from week-long efforts producing immediate value to multi-year DARPA-funded initiatives that straddle the line between fundamental research and applied R&D. We are growing our data science team as we wrestle with these complex challenges.
What You’ll Do:
- Experiment with a range of data science techniques to produce insight, including machine learning, network analysis, sampling methodologies, multi-language NLP, and data visualization
- Implement cutting-edge research at the intersection of data science and social science
- Explore and extract value from out database of over 300 million documents
- Build new text classifiers that add value from our data
- Use Neural Networks and other techniques to leverage our unlabeled data
- Leverage state of the art open source techniques and tools like BERT to deliver value
- Own projects from inception to implementation
- Be responsible for projects that span statistical and mathematical reasoning, business communications and leadership, and computer programming
- Deliver insights to support existing products and come up with innovative product growth opportunities
- Participate in strategic discussions about the direction data science should be taking the company
- Design and execute experiments to evaluate the integrity of our data sampling and data collection strategies.
- Build prototype tools to help our SMEs extract insights from our data
- Use statistics to give SME insights a robust mathematical backing
- Work with our subject matter experts (SMEs) and engineers to turn prototypes into scalable, production software
- Work with our advisors from Harvard, Stanford, and UC San Diego to ensure we are employing the best methodologies to address complex, open-ended research questions
Useful skills include:
- Experience with Machine Learning, NLP, and/or network analysis
- Experience building or tuning deep learning models especially in an NLP context
- A good understanding of statistics, including familiarity with statistical tests, distributions, and maximum likelihood estimators
- Ability to code, wrangle data, and implement algorithms in Python or R and familiarity with a database querying language like SQL or Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of which tools are suited for a given task but also the ability to think of solutions beyond those best practices
- Capability to understand and integrate client or user needs
- Ability to work in a team with a diverse set of skills and life experiences
- Ability to communicate with data visualizations
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing at all levels of technical expertise, including to non-technical customers
- Ability to creatively solve problems and learn quickly and independently
- Time management skills. We have a lot to do in a little time. Understanding how to get things done, how to prioritize, and how to do that with others is key
- Track record of turning data insights into product growth opportunities
- Familiarity with software development procedures/tools like Agile, Git and Jira
- Strong quantitative background with Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, or similar field. Master’s degrees preferred. Ph.D. even better.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience (or 1+ with a PhD).
Note we said ‘useful’. We do not expect candidates to have all of these skills. Tell us what you’re good at when drafting your cover letter. We value hard and soft skills equally as well as a diverse set of life and work backgrounds.
Why Thresher? As the urgency to fight disinformation grows, we are looking for someone to develop practical tools and novel techniques to help address this pressing issue. This is a unique opportunity to collaborate on a team with diverse experience, and work on challenging technical problems with a meaningful mission in the national security and commercial sectors. Our team is made up of veteran entrepreneurs and world-class data scientists, engineers, and subject matter experts. You’ll bring your own experiences and expertise to the team.
Compensation is competitive and includes 20 days of vacation, 10 federal holidays, 9 days of sick leave. We cover 100% of health care premiums as well as the premiums for short and long-term disability plus life insurance. We offer paid parental leave, a work-from-home stipend, and we contribute 3% to a 401K.
Thresher is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you are interested, please submit a letter describing a challenging problem you solved, why you are interested in working with Thresher, and a resume. Applications without a cover letter and answers to our screening questions will not be considered.