- Co Rd 22, Colby, KS 67701, USA
Working with the public, possible growth and working with a fun group of individuals
Position Title: Landfill Worker
Department: Sanitary Landfill
Reports To: Landfill Director
Date: April 2019
Purpose of Position
Employee opens and closes the County Landfill facility. Collects fees as designated by County Commissioners and turns them into the County Treasurer. Responsible for the upkeep and enforcement of the regulations at the facility.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Opens the County Landfill facility for public use during approved hours of operation.
· Assists users of the landfill, directing where to properly dispose of the solid waste at the landfill.
· Buries trash collected or contained in proper manner at the end of the day, and provides spray cover as required.
· Collects designated fees as established by the Board of County Commissioners from landfill users.
· Issues receipts to landfill users for fees collected and maintains a carbon copy receipt in a book.
· Remits collected fees to the County Treasurer for deposit.
· Maintains records required by the State Department of Health and Environment and Thomas County.
· Monitors wind speeds to determine use and disposal at landfill.
· Checks and maintains closed areas of the landfill.
· Operates a variety of trucks and heavy equipment (such as frontend loader and trash compactor) to move material for proper cover and closing in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
· Operates County equipment such as compactor, loaders, trucks, four wheeler, backhoe, dozers, tractors and mowers.
· Reports hazards that cannot be corrected under ordinary maintenance.
· Assures equipment has the necessary fuel, lubricants, and supplies to perform the job.
· Oversees the inspection of loads that are delivered to the local site for appropriateness of materials.
· Removes any unauthorized materials that have been inappropriately placed at the landfill.
· Services and provides maintenance inspection of equipment. Checks the permits of the persons entering the landfill site; tracks loads that come to the site; keeps appropriate records.
· Oversees the disposal of solid waste items and other items that may include household hazardous waste and recycling.
· Separates items and materials, and prepares some materials for transport.
· Coordinates work schedule with part-time operators to perform assigned duties when unable to be at the landfill location.
· Provides routine maintenance on equipment assigned to him and notifies County Shop Foreman of machinery needing repairs.
· Maintains landfill in a clean and orderly fashion.
· Identifies and reports noxious weeds to the Road Supervisor and Noxious Weed Director.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Twelve months related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. High school diploma or equivalent required.
Preferred Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
One to two years related experience and/or training or associate’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience. High school diploma or equivalent required.
Other Requirements – Certificates/Licensures
· Valid Driver’s License.
· Commercial Driver’s License Class B.
· First Aid and CPR certification (preferred).
· Level 1 training in hazardous materials and accidents.
· Must read and abide by Policy Manual.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; run; climb or balance and stoop, squat, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling up to 25 pounds does generally occur. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed more than one third of the time to conditions such moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee may also be exposed to high, precarious places, and vibration. The employee may also be exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. This position may be called out 24 hours a day or rotate being on call, including weekends and holidays.
Thomas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
· Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
· Ability to write simple correspondence.
· Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
· Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
· Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Knowledge of Kansas Department of Health and Environment rules and regulations for operation of a landfill, acceptable materials, and proper disposal methods.
· Skills in operating a variety of heavy and light equipment, and hand and power tools.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general reference documents, safety manuals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
· Ability to track hours by project and record accurately, and track repairs and maintenance to equipment.
· Ability to interact and respond to questions from vendors, suppliers, and the general public.
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions and slopes, addition or subtraction.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited information exists.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form, ability to interpret blueprints and plans.
Landfill Operator, Thomas County Landfill/HHW/Recycling Center
The Thomas County Landfill, HHW, Recycling Center is accepting applications for the position of full time Landfill Operator. Essential duties are gate operations, including directing trucks and vehicles to correct locations at the landfill. Applicant will be trained to be able to operate the Landfill, HHW Facility and Recycling Center according to all applicable laws, including KDHE, EPA, State and Federal laws that pertain to the management of solid waste. Applicant must work well with the public and have good communication skills. Computer knowledge and the ability to handle money including making correct change a must. Operator will obtain and pass 24 hour Hazardous Waste Training within 6 months of employment. Operator must have or obtain Class B operators Drivers License within 3 months of employment. Rotating weekend work with overtime is mandatory. Heavy Equipment experience is a plus however; we will train the right applicant. Starting Salary is 14.00 per hour with guaranteed time and a half weekend work. Full single Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Insurance provided. KPERS Retirement. Sick and Vacation pay after probation period. Pre-employment drug screening is required. Please call Landfill Supervisor, Larry Jumper with any questions at 785-443-2291. If you are ready for a challenging career with Thomas County, are a self starter, a team player and have the desire for long term employment please apply at the Thomas County Clerks Office or the Thomas County Landfill. Thomas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.