Applied Data Science Camp
- KN 6 Ave, Kigali, Rwanda
About the organizers
Kulimi is a non-profit association based in Berlin whose goal is to support impact-minded individuals through technology-enabled trainings and projects. Through an innovative and sustainable fund system and a strong network of contacts and affiliates, Kulimi helps to bring educators, technology experts and generations of learners together in a shared pursuit to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Kulimi follows the belief that today’s major development challenges can only be addressed by well-trained, experienced and employed practitioners and technologists. Therefore, we are convinced that young individuals should be given access to specialized and applied training without major financial or other barriers hurdles.
Think-it is a software engineering collective on a mission to unlock human potential through sustainable use of technology. Our high-performance, low-carbon solutions help innovative teams around the world lower costs, democratize data, and reach net-zero faster.
With a focus on digital transformation, smart infrastructure, and the UN SDGs, we tackle meaningful problems that can only be solved with future-proof technology. Our team includes experts in Full Stack Engineering, Machine Learning, and DevOps and Cloud.
Founded in 2017, Think-it is home to a diverse community of changemakers — we represent 8+ nationalities, and 40% of us are women. We’re proud to be backed by mission-aligned partners, and our goals are people- and planet-centric.
What is the Applied Data Science Camp?
The Applied Data Science Camp, Rwanda is a remote 16 week part-time (15hrs/ week) specialized traineeship program offered jointly by the Berlin-based Non-profit Kulimi and North Africa-based Engineering Collective Think-it. It is supported by the Digital Skills Accelerator Africa (DSAA), IBM SkillsBuild and the XPrize Pandemic Alliance.
It is an all-expenses-paid (no fees for participants) which lasts for 16 weeks. Up to 25 Rwanda-based learners will be selected to participate in a rigorous and exciting learning environment over the course of 16 weeks.
The Camp covers introductory as well as advanced skills in data science and machine learning, including Data Science and Statistical Foundations, Applied Data Science with Python, Data Visualization, Predictive Modeling, Machine Learning. At its core it focuses on self-driven, project-based learning with real-world opportunities for applying skills through impact technology projects with Think-it teams and other partner organizations. We are all about real skills, real projects and real impact and we aim to create a real-world learning experience for aspiring data scientists to practice and deepen data science skills in a practical setting, with a mentor on their side.
The Applied Data Science Camp will take place between Summer and Fall 2021, while the exact start date will be communicated during the interviewing stage.
What you can learn and gain:
- Introductory to advanced knowledge in Data Science and Statistical foundations, Data Preprocessing and Wrangling, Applied Data Science with Python, Data Storytelling, Predictive Modeling and Machine Learning.
- How to build a reusable, scalable and reliable data science model end-to-end.
- Exposure to remote work culture, agile development processes and/or other software engineering fields (e.g., Software Quality, Software Testing).
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure, Github, Notion and other work communication tools (e.g. Slack).
Who are we looking for?
- You're passionate about technology. You are committed to building your career as a data scientist or software engineer and future technology leader of Rwanda.
- You can commit for 16 weeks at 15 hours/ week.
- You take ownership. You are self-driven and have experience successfully managing your learning and project priorities at the same time with minimal oversight.
- You value emotional intelligence. You practice self-awareness and interpersonal skills, and display cross-cultural empathy in teams.
- You have entry-level skills in data research, analysis and preparation (cleaning, labelling)
- You have basic familiarity with one or more programming languages (Ex. Python)
- You have had first job or university experience with data visualization for key metric dashboards through tools like PowerBI
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English
- Access to stable internet connection and a working computer/ laptop
It would be great if you also have/ are:
- First skills in the usage of Github as well as data analysis using Sckit-learn and pandas
- Currently actively pursuing a university degree or other training in computer science, applied mathematics, data science or a related field
- Experience in technical project management and agile methodologies including sprint planning and fluency in DS concepts
- Experience working/ learning with international and/or distributed teams
What we offer you:
- Job-focused blended learning
- Peer-to-peer learning and development
- Personalized support by industry experts
- A lifetime community of like-minded changemakers
- Globally conscious culture invested in the ethical use of technology to solve real problems
Think-it is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability.
QUICK TIP: Make sure to send us your CV in ENGLISH.