Winemaker of Cellar Operations
Come grow with JUSTIN as we are adding a Winemaker of Cellar Operations to the team!
In this exciting new role, you will report directly to the Associate Vice President of Winemaking Operations at JUSTIN. This is a highly collaborative role that will work closely with the Bottling and Operations teams at our large Wisteria Production facility. Our ideal candidate will have experience working with luxury wines and high-volume wine production. The Winemaker of Cellar Operations will be responsible for hands-on management of all cellar staff, operations, equipment, and facilities within the production of our wines prior to bottling. This position will also be expected to drive continuous improvement initiatives through the generation of KPI’s and lean manufacturing techniques. In addition to their daily activities, The Winemaker of Cellar Operations will also be expected to be an active and fundamental participant in our Safety and Food Safety teams.
- Provides direction and development of the production team and creates an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration within the departments
- Management of equipment and state-of-the-art facilities
- Oversee all aspects of cellar operations and premium wine production
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Cellar, Production, Bottling, Maintenance, Safety) to develop value-adding systems and processes
- Assist with the coordination of all necessary maintenance projects to reduce potential downtime
- Participation in all tastings, evaluations and blending trials with the Winemaking Team
- Participation in priority planning and ability to identify, communicate, and execute changes to schedule in a timely manner
- Familiarity with ERP processes and ability to function within real-time operations with minimal interruptions
- Train and develop additional talent within your team, with the Assistant Winemaker of Cellar Operations assimilating to leadership responsibilities in your absence
- Along with the AW, successfully hire and lead a large harvest team
- Vineyard visits and fruit maturity tasting during harvest season
- Champion WOW (Way of Work), the company's continuous improvement program
- BS in Viticulture and Enology/Wine and Viticulture, Fermentation Sciences, Chemistry, or a related field
- 7+ years of winemaking experience post-graduation, minimum 3-5 years of experience as a Winemaker
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with winemaking software such as Crafted, InnoVint, Vintrace, etc.
- Ability to establish direction, coach others, rally a team toward a common objective and execute
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated a strong ability to work well under pressure
- Flexibility to workdays, nights, weekends, holidays, and extended hours dependent on the needs of the department
- Desire to learn and apply the Wonderful Way Values to our everyday processes
Pay Range: $95,000 - $105,000, and may include a discretionary bonus. Final compensation will be dependent upon skills and experience.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company prioritizes wellness through its Wonderful NOW (Nourish Our Wellness) initiative, which provides a robust suite of wellness offerings such as access to mental health resources and life coaching, employee community groups, cash rewards for healthy habits, and on-demand fitness videos.
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world- class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties, including the iconic ISOSCELES® blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. The Vineyard estate, located at 11680 Chimney Rock Road, features a Tasting Room, luxury five-star accommodations at the JUST Inn®, and a Restaurant--making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In September 2018, a new second location, the JUSTIN Downtown Tasting Room opened introducing an expansive wine-tasting bar, lounge, and a full dining room that's situated prominently on the square along Downtown City Park in the heart of Paso Robles. In addition to its stellar hospitality, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing itself as a leader in New World Bordeaux-style winemaking. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN's Tasting Room, online store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about JUSTIN, visit www.justinwine.com.
The Wonderful Company is an Equality Opportunity Employer that provides opportunities for advancement. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce that embodies a deep culture of acceptance, equity, and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
EEO is the law - click here for more information