Grower Relations Harvest Intern
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery has internship opportunities available for the 2023 growing season and harvest, beginning in June and lasting through November!
The Grower Relations Harvest Intern will have the opportunity to work directly with the Grower Relations team and in the winery cellar. The position starts with field data collection for crop estimates; assistance with sugar sampling leading up to harvest will also be of primary focus. A company vehicle will be provided for use to and from vineyard properties. In late September, the position will transition to full-time in the cellar production facility.
The duration of this internship is June through November. This is a full-time, ~40-50 hours/week, hourly-paid position.
Grower Relations Responsibilities:
- Seasonal vineyard operations and extensive data collection including: cluster counting for crop forecasting, vineyard monitoring, pest scouting, and phenological data tracking
- Sugar sampling both berries and clusters for grape maturity and phenolics.
- Ability to utilize and operate tools and equipment used in agricultural applications including an RTV/ATV and hand tools
- Assist in running lab analysis: brix, pH and TA
- Transition to the cellar will occur in September and be 6 days/week and up to 12-hour days
- Prep for Harvest: working with chemicals, pumps and hoses to sanitize tanks, bins and other equipment used for wine work, etc
- Harvest Assistance: performing punch downs, pump-overs, ingredient additions, helping out with processing and wine transfers
- Barrel Work: receiving and labelling new barrels, barrel maintenance and assisting with topping of barrels
- Possessing a Degree (or currently enrolled) in an Agriculture or Wine & Viticulture program is preferred; harvest and wine industry experience is recommended
- Willingness to take time off from school during the duration of the internship is required. This includes online courses
- Possess a positive attitude; strong communication skills, detail-oriented and comfortable working alone as well as effectively with others
- Self-motivated; a desire to learn and solve problems is critical
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to walk long distances and/or hills in a variety of hot and cold climates for a large portion of the days.
- Flexible and willing to work varying shifts, overtime, and weekends
Pay Rate: $16.00 per hour, plus potential overtime pay.
- Wine and Merchandise Discounts
- All the FIJI water you can drink at work
- Wine Education Program
- Fun Work Environment
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world- class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties, including the iconic ISOSCELES® blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. The Vineyard estate, located at 11680 Chimney Rock Road, features a Tasting Room, luxury five-star accommodations at the JUST Inn®, and a Restaurant—making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In September 2018, a new second location, the JUSTIN Downtown Tasting Room opened introducing an expansive wine-tasting bar, lounge, and a full dining room that’s situated prominently on the square along Downtown City Park in the heart of Paso Robles. In addition to its stellar hospitality, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing itself as a leader in New World Bordeaux-style winemaking. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN’s Tasting Room, online store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about JUSTIN, visit www.justinwine.com.
The Wonderful Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
EEO is the law - click here for more information