Enologist - Production
We are looking for a team member with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, prepared to take an enthusiastic hands-on approach to the full range of winery operations. The JUSTIN Production team is seeking a new Enologist. Applicants will require excellent attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal and team skills. Experience in this role is desired, but a passion for wine helps too.
- Oversee quality control throughout all stages of wine production
- Ensure all operations are executed on time with high-quality outcomes
- Supportively interface with both cellar and winemaking staff to help relay information and drive operations forward in a positive manner
- Actively seek opportunities for continuous improvement of the cellar operations, process, and safety practices in the winery
- Document, calendar, and spreadsheet composition to convey processing outcomes and product information back to winemaking
- Participates in monitoring fermentation activity and analysis/management of grapes received during harvest
- Help to ensure that winemaking systems and records are accurately maintained
- Review wine analysis and inspect tank tops then communicate out-of-specification wines to winemakers
- Comply with all company safety policies, practices, and procedures. Participate in safety training and report all unsafe conditions or work practices
- Perform production activities when assigned, including chemical additions, cleaning, wine movements, crush activities, filtration, etc.
- Remain current in the industry through educational opportunities, conferences and workshops, reading publications, and maintaining personal and professional networks
- Occasionally participate in weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers
- At least 2 years’ experience with handling high-volume production levels preferred, or similar experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture and Enology, Fermentation Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline
- Computer skills to effectively use MS Word, Excel, SharePoint, JDE (Winemaking Programming), and other related software
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with staff at all levels - must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English; conversational Spanish is highly desired
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong working knowledge of all winemaking equipment, processes and procedures within the winery
- Ability to manage day-to-day details while maintaining a grasp on company-wide long-term goals for producing a luxury brand
- Ability to identify problems, gather information, and apply knowledge to solve barriers to progress
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks and projects, work both independently and as part of a team, and adapt to frequent changes in the work environment
- Working knowledge of modern sanitation protocols and ability to identify issues and implement ideas to improve current sanitation practices
- Professionalism- taking personal pride in a high-performance work environment, contributing to a culture that delivers quality results
- Availability to work a wide range of hours, including overtime, weekend, nights, holidays, etc.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company focus on wellness and health including virtual yoga and mindful meditation classes
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world- class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties, including the iconic ISOSCELES® blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. The Vineyard estate, located at 11680 Chimney Rock Road, features a Tasting Room, luxury five-star accommodations at the JUST Inn®, and a Restaurant—making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In September 2018, a new second location, the JUSTIN Downtown Tasting Room opened introducing an expansive wine-tasting bar, lounge, and a full dining room that’s situated prominently on the square along Downtown City Park in the heart of Paso Robles. In addition to its stellar hospitality, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing itself as a leader in New World Bordeaux-style winemaking. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN’s Tasting Room, online store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about JUSTIN, visit www.justinwine.com.
The Wonderful Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
EEO is the law - click here for more information