Tasting Room/Restaurant Manager
- Paso Robles, CA 93446, USA
At JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery, we offer guests the ultimate California food and wine experience with world class service. Our award-winning culinary team uses fresh local ingredients that reflect the changing seasons. We are seeking a Tasting Room/Restaurant Manager for JUSTIN Downtown. Come join our management team and work at our beautiful downtown location on the Paso Square!
Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Tasting Room/Restaurant Manager for JUSTIN Downtown oversees all aspects of daily operation of the tasting rooms and events venue. This position plays a vital role in training new employees and meeting tasting room sales goals. It supports the JUSTIN Estate when needed, working hand-in-hand with other Tasting Room leadership. The individual in this role requires excellent customer service, sales skills and a passion for wine.
A Day in the Life at JUSTIN:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to 12-15 tasting room employees by supervising, effectively communicating and enforcing company policies and procedures, department operations, hiring and training tasting room attendants, and partnering with other departments to develop and promote the JUSTIN brand image and products
- Create and execute engaging, educational, and memorable positive guest experiences
- Resolve guest concerns/complaints using good judgment and tact.
- Facilitate and promote good communication between all departments (Hospitality, Marketing, Wine Society, Accounting, Production, Housekeeping, etc.)
- Achieve or exceed financial goals including:
- Tasting Room and Wine Society Lounge wine sales
- Tasting Room merchandise and food sales
- Tour Program signups
- Wine Society signup goals
- Schedule Tasting Room Attendants based on need and monitor the salary budget closely
- Create an alternate staffing plan to accommodate large volumes of tasters on busy days (e.g. assign a “runner” whose only responsibility would be to pack out orders)
- Work with the Tour Program Coordinator to create a robust tour program to maximize participation in tours, and ensure that all staff members are trained and able to give a tour if necessary
- Work with the Merchandise Coordinator to maximize sales of JUSTIN logo merchandise, wine related merchandise, books, etc.
- Ensure that merchandise displays are tastefully done, updated regularly, and add to the ambiance of the Tasting Room
- Assist in the development of a list of 50,000 non-club members to market to by developing innovative ideas - work with Retail Sales Manager and Marketing Manage
- Maintain clean and tidy work areas
- Conduct inventory monthly under the direction of the Inventory Controller.
- Provide the Retail Sales Manager with the following data weekly:
- Wine Sales compared to Budget/Goals
- Merchandise Sales compared to Budget/Goals
- Tours compared to Budget/Goals
- Outreach efforts
- Employee updates, concerns, training progress, etc.
- Oversee the JUSTIN Educational Training program for all staff regardless of department and ensure that all tasting room attendants are properly trained to provide superior customer service at all times.
- Attend local tasting events as directed by the Retail Sales Manager. Long distance travel is not required for this position.
- Participate in the PRWCA Tasting Room Monthly Luncheons – trade off with the Assistant Tasting Room Manager (attend every other month).
- Maintain an up to date tasting sheet, signage, and promotional materials for both the Tasting Room and Wine Society Lounge.
- Work with the Marketing Manager to conform to branding guidelines and for any additional POS requirements.
- Hold a monthly tasting room meeting and shorter weekly meetings on a regular basis. Also, conduct short “rah-rah” sessions before opening each day to motivate staff.
- Attend weekly Hospitality meetings (may trade off with Retail Sales Manager
Your Contribution to JUSTIN:
- Bachelors or equivalent experience and two (2) years retail sales experience with responsibility for managing a team. Experience in the wine industry required
- Proven success working with others
- Excellent communication skills and ability to relate to people at all levels; ability to educate and serve as a mentor
- Must possess a "big picture" perspective and be well versed in systems.
- Ability to establish direction, obtain commitment and execute appropriate management processes
- Proven experience in recruiting and hiring productive, team based staff members
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
JUSTIN's Dedication to You:
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company focus on wellness and health including virtual yoga and mindful meditation classes
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world- class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties, including the iconic ISOSCELES® blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. The Vineyard estate, located at 11680 Chimney Rock Road, features a Tasting Room, luxury five-star accommodations at the JUST Inn®, and a Restaurant--making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In September 2018, a new second location, the JUSTIN Downtown Tasting Room opened introducing an expansive wine-tasting bar, lounge, and a full dining room that's situated prominently on the square along Downtown City Park in the heart of Paso Robles. In addition to its stellar hospitality, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing itself as a leader in New World Bordeaux-style winemaking. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN's Tasting Room, online store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about JUSTIN, visit www.justinwine.com.
The Wonderful Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
EEO is the law - click here for more information