Sr. Farming Manager, Wonderful Nurseries
- Wasco, CA 93280, USA
Wonderful Nurseries is the largest vine nursery in North America. Headquartered near Bakersfield, CA we offer over 500 scion clones and 30 rootstocks with over 800,000 square feet of greenhouse. We also produce almond trees, pomegranate trees, seeded UCB1 pistachio trees, and our proprietary Wonderful pistachio clonal rootstock. As the only nursery with an in-house virus testing lab, Wonderful Nurseries sets the industry standard in focusing on clean material and the highest quality plants.
The Sr. Manager, Farming reports to the Senior Director of Production and is responsible for all activities related to the development, maintenance, cultivation, and harvest of grapevine mother blocks, dormant bare root nursery, pistachio and almond germplasm ranches, and pistachio seed trees.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead, mentor, and support the entire farming team
- Set goals and manage accountability for farming operations
- Develop budgets and review cost variances to budget
- Irrigation management and coordination with water districts
- Coordinate with PCA and Spray department on pest and disease control activities
- Soil and leaf tissue analysis for nutrient management
- Contract labor management, coordination, and oversight
- Track progress of activities and forecast projected completion dates
- Collaborate with production, quality, and shipping departments to ensure proactive communication and alignment on production and delivery expectations
- Develop and maintain mother block vineyards
- Manage planning and timing of critical seasonal vineyard and orchard maintenance tasks
- Planting of new mother blocks including installation of trellis and irrigation systems
- Estimating cuttings availability for sales forecasting
- Harvesting cuttings from company owned and partner blocks for annual vine production
- Oversee all activities related to dormant nursery farming
- Manage relationships with landowners regarding land leases for dormant nursery fields
- Preparation of dormant fields for Spring planting. Activities include fumigation, land prep, irrigation system preparation.
- Planting and harvesting of dormant nursery which consists of upwards of 1,000 SKU's.
- Estimating successful plants for sales forecasting
Key qualifications include, but are not limited to the following:
- Bachelor's degree in related field and five years experience in production agriculture.
- Apply common sense to deal with complex problems involving multiple variables
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. English and Spanish strongly desired
- Perform technical calculations and assemble data in spreadsheets
- Pay impeccable attention to detail. Mandatory when dealing with 1000's of SKU's
- Have knowledge of agricultural labor laws and piece rate analysis
- Awareness of farming / nursery best practices and methods
- Some knowledge of plant propagation
- Be familiar with CDFA certified grapevine regulations a plus
- Be on the forefront of a growing business!
- Competitive benefits packing including Medical, Vision, Dental, 401k and bonus opportunity
- Continued training and generous Education Reimbursement Program
- Paid Sick, Vacation, Personal Hours and holiday time
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
Why choose Wonderful?
The Wonderful Company is a successful, entrepreneurial, privately held company with healthy, iconic, authentic brands, and ethical, creative, innovative business practices. We are passionate about sustainability, social responsibility, philanthropy, and wellness -- for our employees, their communities, and consumers around the world.
- We are harvesting a better world - We use the power of business to make the world a better place.
- We nourish, naturally - We believe that what you put into your body matters. The most nutritious -- and best-tasting -- foods are those from nature.
- We play to win - Our employees set ambitious goals and meet challenges with unified purpose and unmatched energy.
- We act differently - With courage and fearlessness, we are relentless in our quest to inspire healthier. food and beverage choices. As a privately held organization, we have the freedom and the power to make quick and effective decisions.
Wonderful Orchards and The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
EEO is the law - click here for more information