Director, Operations Support
- Wasco, CA 93280, USA
Wonderful Nurseries is the largest vine nursery in North America. Headquartered near Bakersfield, CA we offer over 500 scion clones and 30 rootstocks with over 800,000 square feet of greenhouse. We also produce almond trees, pomegranate trees, seeded UCB1 pistachio trees, and our proprietary Wonderful pistachio clonal rootstock. As the only nursery with an in-house virus testing lab, Wonderful Nurseries sets the industry standard in focusing on clean material and the highest quality plants.
The Director, Operations Support is a key member of the nursery management team and reports to the SVP, General Manager. This position focuses on several areas of responsibility while managing cost, safety, teamwork, and sustainability. Areas of responsibility include plant inventory and grading, quality control, supply chain, and shipping, for all nursery product lines.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead, mentor, and support team of high performing department managers and supervisors
- Employee hiring, training, performance reviews, corrective action planning
- Set performance objectives and indicators to measure progress
- Establish and sustain a culture of continuous improvement
- Develop budgets and review cost variances to budget
- Develop, implement, and review operational policies and procedures
- Contract labor management, coordination, and oversight
- Ensure compliance with all safety and regulatory guidelines and policies
- Track progress of activities and forecast projected completion dates
- Collaborate with production department to ensure proactive communication and alignment on activities and schedules
- Develop and maintain freight rates for in-house and third-party carriers
- Ensure uninterrupted supply of dry goods from global sources
- Review and recommend best solution for dynamic plant inventory and grading requirements
Key qualifications include, but are not limited to the following:
- Bachelor's degree in related field and five years of operations management experience in commercial nursery or manufacturing environment
- A track record of solving ambiguous problems and seeing outside of the box
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among team members
- Apply common sense to deal with complex problems involving multiple variables
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. English and Spanish strongly desired
- Advanced Microsoft Excel experience
- Impeccable attention to detail. Mandatory when dealing with 1000's of SKU's
- Have knowledge of ERP/MRP systems preferably Oracle EBS
- Awareness of manufacturing best practices and methods
- Be on the forefront of a growing business!
- Competitive benefits packing including Medical, Vision, Dental, 401k and bonus opportunity
- Continued training and generous Education Reimbursement Program
- Paid Sick, Vacation, Personal Hours and holiday time
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
Why choose Wonderful?
The Wonderful Company is a successful, entrepreneurial, privately held company with healthy, iconic, authentic brands, and ethical, creative, innovative business practices. We are passionate about sustainability, social responsibility, philanthropy, and wellness -- for our employees, their communities, and consumers around the world.
- We are harvesting a better world - We use the power of business to make the world a better place.
- We nourish, naturally - We believe that what you put into your body matters. The most nutritious -- and best-tasting -- foods are those from nature.
- We play to win - Our employees set ambitious goals and meet challenges with unified purpose and unmatched energy.
- We act differently - With courage and fearlessness, we are relentless in our quest to inspire healthier. food and beverage choices. As a privately held organization, we have the freedom and the power to make quick and effective decisions.
Wonderful Orchards and The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
EEO is the law - click here for more information