Production Manager, Nursery
- Wasco, CA 93280, USA
Wonderful Nurseries is the largest vine nursery in North America. Headquartered near Bakersfield, CA we offer over 500 scion clones and 30 rootstocks with over 800,000 square feet of greenhouse. We also produce almond trees, pomegranate trees, seeded UCB1 pistachio trees, and our proprietary Wonderful pistachio clonal rootstock. As the only nursery with an in-house virus testing lab, Wonderful Nurseries sets the industry standard in focusing on clean material and the highest quality plants.
As Nursery Production Manager, you will be responsible for the production of plants in a specified location/s including management and supervision of area facilities and equipment, greenhouses, shade/sun houses, hoop houses. This position also includes managing the production and shipping schedule, work of crews, ensuring proper safety training and compliance with company safety guidelines, meal and break times, and OSHA rules and compliances.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain and communicate all accurate records of growing conditions of any plant material within your control.
- Work in conjunction with Management to plan for and share manpower resources and day-to-day responsibilities for all greenhouses and production activities.
- Work with Management to schedule and complete special projects as directed.
- Maintain and communicate accurate daily activity records and operation logs for detailed tracking capability.
- Assists team to achieve all budgetary and quality goals.
- Lead by example in safety while enforcing safety and PPE requirements and standards. Responsible for leading tailgate safety meetings and training for all direct reports.
- Identify and requisition material required to perform assigned work.
- Conduct monthly inspections of all assigned areas. Coordinate with repair and maintenance department on facility maintenance needs.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with management, supervisors, contractors, and employees on a regular basis and in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and control seasonal activities.
- Participate in required trainings, team building activities, and other trainings as required.
- On a weekly basis, work in conjunction with Management and Crew Leads to set output standards and schedules for production work.
- Assist in all production activities including;
- greenhouse propagation
- weed control, pest control
- cultural practices
- cooperate in the setup of Spray Programs
- testing new products and horticultural practices
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- BS in Viticulture, Horticulture, Agribusiness, or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Computer skills in Word, Excel, and Email required.
- Thorough understanding of nursery practices and growing cycles preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, assign work in a logical manner to meet productivity and time requirements, ability to make sound decisions and enforce company rules, policies and safety practices.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and in a timely manner all concerns regarding work progress, work quality, order of tasks, and employee safety.
- Requires mobility throughout all nursery locations.
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills required.
- Understand nursery equipment, pump, frost, harvest and irrigation processes and related equipment operation preferred.
- Lead and participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Be on the forefront of a growing business!
- Competitive benefits packing including Medical, Vision, Dental, 401k and bonus opportunity
- Continued training and generous Education Reimbursement Program
- Paid Sick, Vacation, Personal Hours and holiday time
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
Why choose Wonderful?
The Wonderful Company is a successful, entrepreneurial, privately held company with healthy, iconic, authentic brands, and ethical, creative, innovative business practices. We are passionate about sustainability, social responsibility, philanthropy, and wellness -- for our employees, their communities, and consumers around the world.
- We are harvesting a better world - We use the power of business to make the world a better place.
- We nourish, naturally - We believe that what you put into your body matters. The most nutritious -- and best-tasting -- foods are those from nature.
- We play to win - Our employees set ambitious goals and meet challenges with unified purpose and unmatched energy.
- We act differently - With courage and fearlessness, we are relentless in our quest to inspire healthier. food and beverage choices. As a privately held organization, we have the freedom and the power to make quick and effective decisions.
Wonderful Orchards and The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
EEO is the law - click here for more information