Technician - Psychology Systems
- Auckland, New Zealand
- UoA Department Name: Technical Services
- Advert Closing Date: 17/04/2020
- Campus: Auckland City Campus
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Number: 55565837
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university. We employ more than 5400 academic and professional staff to support the success of over 41,000 students and researchers.
The School of Psychology is seeking to appoint a Technician who specialises in Psychology Systems who will provide support to our postgraduate students and researchers. This role is permanent and part-time 22.5 hours per week.
About the Role
As a Technician, you will provide a range of specialist technical support across labs covering cognitive neuroscience, animal cognition and sensory processing to indigenous, industrial and health psychology. Our postgraduate students and researchers use a wide range of technologies to study cognition and behaviour.
You will be the go-to person and subject matter expert for experimental software and hardware systems conducting maintenance and ongoing development
The ability to programme, configure systems and code is essential.
You will also be working with a variety of users, from academic staff to students. So the ability to work with a range of stakeholders will contribute to your success in this role.
For more information regarding the role, please view the position description.
Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will have
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or relevant work experience
- Experience working with software programming and troubleshooting hardware systems such as Windows (XP) and Linux
- Research support experience or a software development support background in Psychology
- Professional experience with languages used in research programmings such as Java, Python, C++, R, LabVIEW, and MATLAB
- The ability to master new paradigms, technologies, platforms and tools.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to interact with a variety of stakeholders, from academics to students
- A positive can-do attitude and be a positive contributor in a team environment.
Why work for us?
The University of Auckland is dedicated to providing an excellent and stimulating environment for its employees which ensures a healthy work-life balance through.
- Five weeks’ annual leave per annum (pro-rated)
- Up to 6.75% employer superannuation contribution.
- Over 300 different career development courses.
- Discounted, onsite childcare, parking and various leisure and recreation services.
- A diverse and inclusive working environment that directly contributes to improving the lives of student
For more information on the benefits of working here, see our Staff Benefits page.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online, by the closing date of Friday 17h April 2020 to be considered. Please include your CV and a cover letter outlining what strengths you would bring to this role.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatāpui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz