Mass Spectrometry Technologist
- Auckland, New Zealand
- UoA Department Name: Liggins Institute
- Advert Closing Date: 04/11/2019
- Campus: Auckland City Campus
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Number: 55564769
We require an experienced technician to work full-time in our modern research facility at Grafton, Auckland. The main function of this position is to operate our suite of three mass spectrometers (two triple quads and a Q-Exactive) and a sample preparation robot. The work will include the development of new methods across all platforms and the utilisation of existing ones in conjunction with our extensive post-graduate student cohort. A variety of sample extraction, separation and analysis techniques will be involved.
This role offers variety and the opportunity to advance your skills everyday through exposure to new challenges that come about in the research projects you will work on, mentoring students and working alongside a highly skilled team of Technologists including two other Mass Spectrometrists.
Skills and experience:
- A fondness for investigation and problem solving as you work to develop new ways of addressing the challenges that may come up in the research projects, often setting things up from scratch.
- Experience working with triple quadrupole and / or Q-Exactive mass spectrometers.
- Experience in biomolecular separations techniques, UPLC or HPLC.
- A tertiary qualification in biochemistry, chemistry or related science.
- Experience in a bioanalytical research setting and experience or an interest in working with and mentoring post-graduate students is also desirable but not essential.
About the Liggins Institute
The Liggins Institute is a multi-disciplinary research institute within the University of Auckland, committed to biomedical and clinical research of an international standard in areas of major health importance.
Find out more about us via the links below:
Why work for us?
- Enjoy variety in the projects you will work on in our state-of-the-art facility.
- Genuine opportunity to advance your skills in a highly respected team.
- Generous benefits including 5 weeks’ annual leave, company superannuation scheme and discounted on-site childcare.
For more information on the benefits of working here, see our Staff Benefits page.
How to apply
To discuss or clarify any aspects of the position please contact Margaret Coe, Mass Spectrometry Technologist at the Liggins Institute, University of Auckland on (09) 923 7946 or [email protected]
Applications should be submitted online, before the closing date of 4th November 2019 and include an up to date CV and cover letter.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatāpui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz.