Production Mechanic - Canning and Packaging
- Los Banos, CA, USA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $900 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management (please see www.self-managmentinstitute.org). Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we communicate this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and mission-focused management.
The Mission and Position
The Canning Group is based at Liberty Packing Company in Los Banos. This colleague’s mission will be to maintain and operate cooking and cooling equipment to produce a product that meets customer expectations in a cost effective environmentally responsible manner. We are interested in individuals who desire to perform at a high level and who are dedicated to continuous, year-over-year improvement. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Repair & Maintain Canning Area Equipment
- Repair & Maintain Canning facilities & grounds
- Develop Canning equipment R&M strategies & procedures
- Repair & Maintain Seamer
- Repair & Maintain Vacuum & Telescopic Fillers
- Repair & Maintain Pouch Filler
- Repair & Maintain PFM / Weigh-Right Fillers
- Repair & Maintain Depalletizers
Operations during the production season
- Assist colleagues to achieve effective plant operations
- Ensure a safe work environment for self and fellow colleagues
- Ensure Accurate Filled Net Weight
Canning Area Capital Projects
- Research & Understand Canning equipment & technologies
- Identify capital improvement opportunities
- Develop new technologies for implementation as capital projects
- Implement capital improvement projects in Canning area
Knowledge, Talent and Experience Requirements
- Excellent Mechanical concepts and skills.
- Own basic toolbox.
- Working knowledge of thermal processing.
- Willing to work long hours and weekends during season.
- Excellent listening and communications skill, written and oral.
- Understands, enjoys and is very good at the game of business.
- Excellent analytical skill.
- Substantial expertise with Excel, Word and other related applications.
- Patient, but persistent in getting results.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.