Experienced Ingredient Sales Rep
- Los Banos, CA, USA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations, with employment of approximately 400 year-round and 2,000 seasonal colleagues and annual sales of about $1 billion.
The Morning Star Company is the largest independent producer of bulk tomato ingredient products (tomato paste and diced tomatoes) in the world. We also produce canned tomatoes, tomato products and specialty sauces in pouches for customers in the retail and food service markets. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management. Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we communicate this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and mission-focused management.
The Morning Star Sales Mission is “To build relationships which result in ‘at-will’ sales opportunities” - To establish a relationship with and attract offers from every customer and negotiate mutually sustainable agreements with select customers. We desire to increase Morning Star’s product supply penetration with the goal of being each customer’s, “Supplier of Choice.” When conditions warrant, we should drive to be their sole supplier.
Building Relationships; relationships are built and grown over time. Trust is the basis of all relationships and when trust is compromised relationships falter. It is imperative that in building customer relationships we understand the critical nature of what each customer truly values in a good relationship. Some customers need more attention than others, while some prefer interaction by email. Understand there is no substitute for face time with a customer and seeking to understand their needs and their company’s needs in detail. If we are to ultimately have the ability to sell “at will”, a deep understanding of the business is a must.
This person will need to have regular access to our facilities in Los Banos, and so he/she should be located less than an hour away.
The ideal candidate will have an energetic prospector mentality. They should be an independently driven, relationship-oriented professional that contributes a positive outlook to our unique, collaborative environment. They will be able to manage their time appropriately, adapt to change quickly, and work well under pressure. The candidate should be a strong oral and written communicator and an effective organizer.
- Knowledge of general sales processes and tactics is required with specific experience in prospecting and consultative selling. Background in the food industry and/or distribution is preferred. Additionally, the ideal candidate should be proficient with Microsoft applications, specifically Excel and PowerPoint. An understanding of the processed tomato market, or a similar agricultural commodity market, is a plus.
- Develop and maintain an enthusiastic presence for Morning Star in the marketplace.
- Develop a customer-specific business plan, which details activities to execute that plan to maintain or grow existing business.
- Conduct new business development efforts with prospective accounts including, but not limited to, new product opportunities and strategic initiatives. Work with Morning Star technical support colleagues to develop new sales opportunities and to address customer issues or concerns.
- Administrative duties to include updating our customer database software to track sales activities, forecasting and movement analysis, and other administrative duties as required. Utilize reports that track sales, prices and inventories to monitor actual shipments versus commitments and take action to maintain customer shipment commitments.
- Demonstrate strong product and technical expertise (over time if from outside our industry) and sound market knowledge of domestic and international markets.
- Coordinate with other Sales Colleagues, and other Colleagues within the enterprise, to enhance the effectiveness of the entire organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect and build trust with people.
- Excellent results in sales/marketing role(s) in a commodity oriented business.
- Demonstrated ability to handle accounts and work effectively with brokers.
- Able to skillfully negotiate lasting agreements satisfactory to all parties.
- Travel requirement of 15% to 20%, or as needed to drive the business.
- Proficiency with appropriate computer applications.
- Curious and adept at learning – we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Strong integrity with the motivation to make a difference, and support the success of others.
- Emotionally intelligent – excellent situational awareness, accepts feedback well, coachable, responds appropriately, listens, and has humility and respect for others.
- Honest, forthright and trustworthy.
- Has a sense of urgency, but balances risks and rewards thoroughly.
- Works independently, with broadly defined work objectives, while coordinating with team.
- Creative problem solver – able to innovate and find solutions.
- Organized - pays attention to detail with no task too small. Excellent follow through.
- Generous and eager to share relevant information.
- Courageous. Doing What is Right.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.The Morning Star Company and its affiliates participate in E-Verify.