Agricultural Supply Chain Logistics (Seasonal)
- Los Banos, CA, USA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, harvesting and trucking operations, with employment of approximately 350 year-round and 2,000 seasonal colleagues and annual sales of approximately $900 million.
The Mission for this colleague will be as follows:
“To Timely and Accurately Supply the Required Quantity and Quality of Plants and Tomatoes to the Farms and Factories.”
The position is based in Los Banos and it is expected that driving distance from home would be limited to 45 minutes. Additionally, the candidate will be required to work night shifts during the season as our operation will run 24/7 during harvest.
Specific responsibilities and activities:
1. Develop relationships with all Colleagues, and others, involved in acquiring and directing people and equipment.
2. Obtain and enter information pertinent to our Tomato Star software program which is an essential database utilized for coordinating activities from Acquisition Colleagues and others. This includes, at least, the annual tomato acquisition plan by grower, week and variety, the detailed status of transplants in greenhouses, field status for planting and harvesting including the locations, speeds and activity of each planter, harvester and road truck, factory volume and quality requirements on a season and hourly basis, planting and harvesting locations and their real-time status, real-time tomato load volume and quality, etc.
3. Prepare, record and monitor Acquisition, greenhouse, transplanting and harvesting agreements. Various terms of these contracts need to be monitored for quantity limits and quality aspects. Ensure that all vendors related to these agreements are provided with information required to achieve timely performance on all aspects of these agreements, including our obligations for information and payments.
4. Monitor and direct greenhouse shipments, transplanters, harvesters and trucks through appropriate software plus personal attention and judgment.
5. Communicate status of activities and changes required to appropriate Colleagues to accomplish your Mission.
This person will require the following:
(1) the intelligence to assimilate and make quick sense of a significant amount of information (many numbers with a geographical orientation);
(2) excellent analytical skills;
(3) a creative approach to problem solving;
(4) computer competency with specialized software, Excel spreadsheets and
(5) persuasive leadership skills, self-confidence and humility
(6) the ability to relate to other Colleagues such that accurate information is
obtained and provided quickly and clearly;
(7) the ability to be cordial, but hold your ground in the face of other strong-willed Colleagues with varying agendas;
(8) the ability to handle broad judgment authority, given a few principles of operation and a few basic policies.
This position is for a hands-on person with a professional attitude who enjoys working on a peer level with talented and committed colleagues, who has the self-confidence to pursue their convictions and work independently with broadly defined work objectives.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. The Morning Star Company and its affiliates participate in E-Verify.