Agriculture Lead Field Technician
- College City, CA 95912, USA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $900 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Mission Focused Management. Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we describe this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and Mission Focused Management.
This Colleague’s mission is to implement and develop crop management irrigation programs at a commercial level with contracted growers. Maintain professional relationships with growers, provide technical support, and ensure superior customer service.
This year-round position requires a clean driving record, and a company-owned vehicle will be provided for business use. Health and retirement benefits are included in the compensation package. Starting pay is expected to be $18.00 per hour. Proper training will be provided.
Specific activities will include:
- Maintain effective and professional communication with growers, irrigation consultants, field supervisors and irrigators regarding critical system information.
- Proper and timely installation and removal of weather, soil and crop monitoring equipment
- Provide team with information regarding row length, width, pump system throughput (gallons/minute), tape size, field map to calculate system flow.
- Provide regular maintenance to sensors and communication equipment installed in the field
- Verify daily information generated through internal software and detect errors or anomalies to be communicated with the development team
- Daily monitoring of equipment malfunction notifications and its efficient repair.
- Visit fields on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and inspect equipment functionality, alignment, cleanliness and general field/crop progression.
- Perform or assist drone pilot with flights as needed (training for certification will be provided)
- Provide team feedback of system functionality and contribute to future improvement discussion
- Assist Ag R&D colleagues in the performance of trials and further data entry / analysis
- Assist in grower presentations
- Intimately understand system and software workings to be able to explain details to growers
- Any other related activities that are required
- Bachelor's Degree in plant science/crop health, soil science, or other related field
- Driven, self-motivated work ethic
- Able to work independently and in outdoor environment
- Computer literate, specifically with Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, etc.) and G-Suite.
- Clean DMV record
- Able to work weekends
- Bilingual is a plus, but is not required
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. The Morning Star Company and its affiliates participate in E-Verify.