- Sacramento, CA, USA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 35% to 40% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $900 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management (more at: self-managmentinstitute.org). Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we communicate this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and Mission-Focused Self-Management.
To perform in-depth industry analysis to identify new business opportunities and provide analytical support for free market solutions to social issues.
The majority of this person’s time will be spent supporting the commercial activities of The Morning Star Company and affiliates. But ideally we would like to include some time commitments for The Foundation for Harmony and Prosperity. The Foundation's mission is to persuade people to act, in all aspects of their lives, in concert with social principles that advance Human Happiness, Harmony and Prosperity.
- Apply economic theory and quantitative skills to selected areas and industries.
- Gather, maintain and analyze data from disparate sources on industries of interest, including the details and dynamics of production, consumption and competitiveness.
- Estimate and maintain robust models projecting industry pricing, production, consumption and profitability.
- Model the economics of industry businesses to understand their drivers of profitability, and their sensitivity to changes in those driving factors.
- Make investment recommendations to company stakeholders based on sound reasoning and data analysis.
- Present research findings in written reports and live presentations as appropriate.
- Assist colleagues with statistical questions and analysis, including experimental design, hypothesis testing, and process modeling.
- Prioritize multiple demands and produce results in a timely fashion to keep pace with our growing, dynamic business.
- Advanced capabilities in Economics, Business, Engineering or Statistics including a demonstrable ability in quantitative analysis and a solid foundation in microeconomics.
- A background in Agricultural Economics, while not required, is a plus.
- A proven track record of producing research results in a timely manner.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills, including rhetoric and argumentation.
- Expertise using Microsoft Excel and Word.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. The Morning Star Company and its affiliates participate in E-Verify.