Trucking Operations Manager
- Los Banos, CA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 25% to 30% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $900 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management (more at: self-managmentinstitute.org). Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we communicate this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and mission-focused management.
- To take an active role in achieving the Enterprise Mission, which is to provide bulk tomato and freight transportation services to our customers at the highest level of efficiency possible in an environmentally responsible, safe and timely manner.
- To market our trucking services.
- To attract, hire, train and coordinate personnel for our Trucking operations; to advance these operations to the highest degree of competency, respect and profitability; to make Morning Star the trucking employer of choice.
This is a full-time, year-round position. The position requires rigorous coordination with related agricultural supply chain business units, including farming (Lucero Farms), transplanting and harvesting (Cal Sun Grower Services), and processing (Morning Star Packing and Liberty Packing.) This position requires a hands-on professional who enjoys working on a peer level with talented and committed colleagues, and who has the self-confidence to pursue their convictions.
- Support and improve existing operational processes.
- Develop and implement new operation processes as required by the Mission and changing environment.
- Coordinate recruitment activities for seasonal hiring.
- Conduct interviews of potential seasonal hires as required.
- Maintain knowledge of current laws and regulations pertaining to all aspects of Mission duties.
- Participate in strategic planning.
- Facilitate Trucking operations by coordinating/scheduling the activities of Trucking operations staff (drivers, dispatchers, shop mechanics and other support positions) and maintaining a high level of communication and coordination with colleagues in related business units.
- Explore opportunities for growth in our year-round freight haul activities.
- Order supplies as appropriate.
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge and skills.
- Night work is required during production season.
- Strong focus on safety in all aspects of activity.
- Computer skills: Familiar with Mac/Windows. Competent in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to learn, and work proficiently with, our in-house “TomatoStar” programs/database system, used to organize all aspects of the Ag Supply Chain information needs.
- Basic mechanical knowledge.
- Ability to read and write clearly. A strong focus on clear, open and professional communication.
- Bilingual English-Spanish a plus.
- College degree in agricultural business or related field is desired.
- Class A Commercial Driver license, or willingness/ability to get one.
- Acceptable driving record.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.