Accounting and Administrative Support
- Woodland, CA
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato processing facilities in Central California, processing 35% to 40% of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming, harvesting and trucking operations. Employment is approximately 350 year-round and over 2,000 seasonal colleagues with annual sales exceeding $900 million. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and integrity.
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Self-Management (more at: self-managmentinstitute.org). Our company is operated by colleagues without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Each Colleague is expected to be the manager of their mission. Authority relative to other colleagues’ activities is lateral and based on their independent agreements. Each colleague’s Mission is their guiding principle of action, and respect, influence and success having to be built based on each colleague’s competency, integrity, effort, persistence and straight-forward persuasiveness. As we continue to grow, and while we communicate this position in commonly used terms, we intend to maintain a culture of individual responsibility and mission-focused management.
The Mission and Position
This colleague’s Mission will be to process daily accounting activities in a timely and efficient manner for multiple business entities, and to provide administrative support to colleagues as needed. Responsibilities will include, however not limited to the invoicing of customers, processing of accounts payable, as well as reviewing monthly expenses and revenue reports for accuracy. This position is located in our Woodland office.
Specific Responsibilities and Activities
- Scan and process invoices for relevant colleagues review and coding
- Enter invoices, process checks, get signatures, mail payments and file documents in a timely manner
- Maintain Vendor Profile in accounting system
- Verify coding on all invoices for accuracy before processing payments
- Review all accounts payable transactions to confirm accurate coding
- Oversee issuance of 1099’s and ensure mailed accurately by January 31st.
- Accounts Receivable:
- Accurately invoice internal and external customers.
- Record receipt of cash payments and ensure accuracy.
- Make collection calls as needed.
- Prepare Bank Deposits and manage banking needs.
- Monitor cash requirements.
- Demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm, intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, and ability to perform as a team player.
- Receive guests in our office and ensure that their visit with us is successful.
- Handle office correspondence.
- Ensure the office is organized and office colleagues have ready access to resources needed in order for them to accomplish their Missions.
- Answer the telephone.
- Manage office building relationships.
- Assist fellow colleagues with documents, research and meetings, etc. to advance their Missions.
- Assist other colleagues in documenting and tracking material legal and other internal commitments.
Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent computer skills, especially with Excel
- Fluent in English; effective written and verbal communication
The successful candidate will be one that is open to learning, takes initiative and is capable of and interested in expanding their role to involve other accounting related functions. Additional key personal characteristics include impeccable integrity, conscientiousness, decisiveness and self-confidence.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.