Business Development / Negotiator
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
About Moresby Group
The Moresby Group was founded with a single mission: To build a great place to work. Our theory has always been that a great culture attracts great people, and great people do great work. So, if you build a team that people genuinely love being a part of, the rest will take care of itself.
We’re well on our way on that journey. We’ve assembled an enviable team of smart, committed, energetic and fun individuals. We work hard, play hard, and love what we do. And in 2019, we were named to the list of Canada’s Best Workplaces in Professional Services and Canada’s Top 50 Growth Companies.
So what do we do? We are a negotiating machine. Since our inception in 2016, we have been entrusted by clients worldwide to help them negotiate everything from complex high-stakes joint venture agreements, to low-stakes transactional arrangements. We've served Fortune 1,000 clients across 6 continents in the following industries: Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace, Consumer Packaged Goods, Energy, Financial Services, Oil & Gas, Media, Packaging and Software. We execute with speed and precision, and we deliver results.
We are hiring a Business Development / Negotiator to join our growing team.
Our clients (large public companies) engage us to negotiate on their behalf with their suppliers. They provide us with a list of suppliers that they buy from and we in turn negotiate with these suppliers to achieve lower prices. We typically deliver millions in savings in just 2-3 months. As a team, we’re very proud to have developed a reputation as being the go-to SWAT team when it comes to negotiations.
Key responsibilities in the role include:
- Preparing a short negotiation strategy (using research from our Research team) to identify the levers at your disposal to create leverage and ultimately, savings
- Executing negotiations with suppliers via telephone on a daily basis, ultimately delivering cost savings to our clients
- Following up with suppliers tenaciously as and if required to deliver outcomes
- Reaching a commercial agreement with suppliers
What we’ve learned about our best Business Development / Negotiators
- They have previously worked in B2B Sales, Procurement and/or have previously been Entrepreneurs
- They have 5-8 years of work experience
- They are gritty, have high emotional intelligence and a high degree of professionalism
- They enjoy negotiating and are comfortable with being on the phone
- They can have difficult and uncomfortable conversations, and can hold their ground
- They are extremely driven, tenacious, and have lots of ‘hustle’
- They are highly proficient with Excel
Where some of our Business Development / Negotiators have exited to:
- Founder of tourism/entertainment start-up
- Consultant at Big 4 firm
- Country Manager, Financial Services Company
- Independent Negotiations Consultant
- Procurement Director at Canadian Manufacturer
The Moresby Group was founded by Mitch Cohen and Hemmy Challapally who met while working closely together at McKinsey. While working on large-scale turnarounds and good-to-great transformations, they noted the absence of highly dependable tools and services to help support supply chain teams. A few years later, they decided to start The Moresby Group, and made supply chain enablement the core focus of the business.
Our founders decided to work together to launch the Moresby Group while working in Papua New Guinea and thus named the company after its capital, Port Moresby.
- Our office is energetic and vibrant. Its buzzing with folks who are excited to have saved our client’s millions in a day’s work
- We believe in working hard and having a good time while at work. We hope you partake in Floral Fridays, monthly team events, and our office retreats
- We have a cozy living room at work for when you need to wind down
- We offer many great perks – we have snacks delivered to the office every week, regular team lunches, a coffee machine for your afternoon pick-me-ups, and games in the office
- We take care of our people with top caliber health and dental plans
- We have a very entrepreneurial culture and many of our past employees have moved onto start their own companies
- We believe in giving back to our community – we donate a portion of our revenues to local non-profit organizations that are chosen by the team
- Office is located in downtown Toronto, close to Union station
- Due to client confidentiality, we do not have an online presence. If you are interested, the best way to understand our unique culture is to visit us at our office
The Moresby Group is an equal opportunity employer and we are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and barrier-free work environment for all candidates and employees. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply and if accommodation is required during any stage of the recruitment process, please contact our Talent team directly.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.