Construction Project Manager
- Austin, TX
The Building People is a recognized leader in real estate and facilities services. Our global organization delivers total lifecycle solutions for clients that integrate technology, buildings, and people to solve today’s complex challenges for building owners, occupiers and stakeholders. We empower our clients to maximize the workplace experience and reduce costs without sacrificing quality and reliability. Our strategy leads clients towards the future of facilities through a connected real estate model that propagates new norms to deliver organizational efficiency, sustainability, and savings.
The Building People is representing a federal client which is embarking on a 5-year retrofit project of a data center in Austin, Texas, which is considered critical infrastructure. As such, we are looking for an exceptionally detailed, organized, and experienced construction project manager who, ideally, has experience in data centers or, at a minimum, in and with sophisticated mechanical systems.
• Develops project specific procedures and documentation, and consults with owner on design and construction contracts and related A/E systems for the project
• Ensures contracts, drawings, estimates, and specifications comply with construction/project requirements• Obtains, maintains, and manages data, information, communications, and approvals required by project and company requirements between owner, Architects, Engineers, and other project-related entities
• Represents owner, project and related parties in public forums and meetings• Manages project controls, cost, and performance activities and procedures, project logistics, organization, systems and project closeout
• Leads in project meetings to include documentation, administration, and tracking of relevant information and statuses
• Coordinates, directs, and monitors activities of construction management staff, contractors, Engineers, Architects, and related performing entities• Ensures project team adheres to safety requirements
• Manages bid phase services, as may be required by the client
• Ability to lead stakeholders on due diligence walks – assess property conditions, estimate repair and construction costs, markup site plans with work locations, creation of DD reports and projected budgets, assessment of landscape and drainage conditions, taking and publishing photos of work examples and written summaries of overall property attributes
• Track change order requests & problem issues and react to feedback from Property Management personnel, prepare reports on project details and communicate overall project goals and details to senior asset/investment/construction managers
• Maintain project management logs (RFIs, changes, submittals, construction documents, FF&E, close-out)
• Management, coordination, and inspection of contractor work while project is in progress and be able to contribute feedback that might make work safer, cheaper, cleaner, lower impact or any other way improve the operational success of the projects
At Minimum: Candidates should be able to demonstrate at least 7 years of experience managing commercial mechanical construction projects and offer stellar recommendations from colleagues. Candidates should have a fundamental understanding of all major mechanical systems, some level of understanding of building controls, and a general knowledge of other building systems. Candidates should also possess PMP certification.
Possesses familiarity with accepted buildings practices, materials, and techniques, knowledge of common and general code requirements, ADA requirements, mechanical systems and components, permitting processes and requirements, market pricing and lien waivers.
Experience in managing, coordinating and inspecting contractor work while project is in progress and be able to contribute feedback that might make work safer, cheaper, cleaner, lower impact or any other way improve the operational success of the projects
The Ideal Candidate: will have experience working specifically in new or retrofit construction in data centers, 10+ years in construction management (with an emphasis on mechanical), and significant experience with federal clients.
Position is full-time, with benefits.
Competitive benefits to include: Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, Long-Term Disability insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off and a 401K Retirement plan.
Clearance may be Required. Due to the nature of our business, most positions require U.S. citizenship. Federal Government experience a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.