- Quantico, VA
At The Building People, we pride ourselves in having over 20 years of experience operating, maintaining, and providing service and space solutions that are needed for both building owners and their customers. We are uniquely positioned to enable end users and clients to optimize portfolios, and maximize technology while changing the tenant experience.
The Building People, LLC is seeking a Top Secret cleared Cost Estimator for a facilities engineering program to support a federal Agency at Quantico, VA. The Cost Estimator will support Agency related construction, design/build, and architecture and engineering projects involving the multiple area. This is full time position working at Quantico, VA.
- Analyzes drawings and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates
- Assesses cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to contract award costs as the project develops.
- Consults with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Confers with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Prepares estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Prepares estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors.
- Identifying and quantifying cost factors, such as production time and raw material, equipment, and labor expenses.
- Traveling to job sites to gather information on materials needed, labor requirements, and other factors.
- Reading drawings and technical documents to prepare estimates.
- Collaborating with engineers, architects, owners, and contractors on estimates.
- Using sophisticated computer software to calculate estimates.
- Evaluating a product’s cost effectiveness or profitability.
- Recommending ways to make a product more cost effective or profitable.
- Preparing estimates for the government agent and other Program Managers.
- Assists in developing cost documents such as project management plans for the duration of the project. Responds to cost needs for the duration of the project.
- Accurately predicts the cost, size, and duration of future construction and manufacturing projects.
- Analyzing many inputs in order to determine how much time, money, and labor a project needs and how profitable it will be.
- Using computer software, including databases, to simulate building construction.
- Calculating the cost of the construction phase for which the contractor is responsible.
- Identifying the direct costs, such as the cost of raw materials and the cost of labor, and set a timeline for how long the project will take.
- Bachelor’s degree in an area such as economics, mathematics, building science, statistics, construction management, production management, accounting, finance or engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a planner/scheduler on construction projects.
- Hold industry recognized certification such as a Certified Cost Professional (CCP), Earned Value Professional (EVP), Planning and Scheduling Professional (PSP), Project Management Institute-Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP), etc.
- Good problem solving skills
- The ability to pay close attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Good project management skills
- Have a keen sense of business acumen and awareness.
- An understanding of the importance of data confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently
- The ability to organize work and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of regulations, price trends and exchange rates in building construction and associated trades.
- Experience using industry software products used for cost estimating activities.
Prior experience working with federal Agencies,including Quantico, VA, on facility engineering projects.Excellent IT and math skills.
Top Secret Clearance Required.
Federal Government experience a plus.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.