About Beacon Media:
Founded in April 2019, The Beacon first started publishing in Kansas City in March 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic. In June 2021, we launched a second newsroom in Wichita to become a regional nonprofit news network. The goal of The Beacon is to create a sustainable, non-profit news organization that engages the public, collaborates with other media and produces the highest level of accountability and solutions-driven journalism in Kansas and Missouri. https://kcbeacon.org/about/
The Beacon Values:
- Shining a light: We believe that transparency about what is happening in our community and government ultimately leads to a better society for all. We also believe that if we demand transparency from others, we must model it ourselves as journalists — transparency in funding, journalistic practices, and our policies are integral to earning trust.
- Power in independence: Our unique impact as journalists lies in our ability to tell the complete story, without consideration of profit, ideology, or advocacy. We can tell the truest story, and make the greatest possible difference if we take no predetermined position on the topics we cover. We work hard to build a business model that safeguards our independence.
- Local first: We put down roots in the communities we cover and work with our readers as well as for them. We cover local people, institutions, and systems like they’re as important as the president (because they are). We aren’t interested in national stories unless there is a clear local or regional angle.
- Anti-racism: We acknowledge and condemn the ongoing legacy of racism in the U.S. and the institution we are a part of — the press. We commit to standing against racism as we build our organization and conduct our work.
- Impact: Writing stories is not enough. We are on a mission to get the full truth to the maximum number of people at the moments of greatest consequence. We do everything we can to bring stories, people, and stakes alive for readers so they can engage in informed action and debate
Beacon Media Inc is seeking a Development Manager based in Wichita, Kansas to help us unlock the next level of impact. The Development Manager will report to the VP of Revenue Operations. This is an opportunity to be at the forefront of a movement to make local news a foundational part of civic life in the Kansas City and Wichita metros by enabling the kind of journalism that holds power to account while being accountable to the communities we serve. As the Development Manager you will join a team of committed professionals with the goal of creating a sustainable, non-profit news organization that engages the public, collaborates with other media, and produces the highest level of accountability and solutions-driven journalism in Kansas and Missouri.
The Development Manager will play a key role in The Beacon’s next level of growth and be responsible for identifying, cultivating, securing and stewarding philanthropic gifts from public and private foundations and major donors, while collaborating with colleagues across The Beacon team. The Development Manager will grow the donor portfolio, and increase the quantity, volume and size of multi-year awards.
- Collaborate with VP of Revenue Operations and CEO and contractors on local, national, and government grant applications, donor cultivation, major gift solicitation, and planned giving
- Conduct research for available grants and research requirements to find opportunities that align with the Beacon’s mission
- Write detailed proposals aligned with The Beacon’s strategy and each opportunity to secure revenue
- Procure and combine information required for grant reports from across The Beacon team
- Maintain accurate donor and grants management records in CRM (Salesforce and other tools) including tracking submissions, awards, and reporting deadlines
- Oversee donor prospect research and actively lead the identification of prospects to bring new supporters into the organization
- Develop cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each identified major donor
- Research and prep for major funder conversations with briefings to maximize the VP of Revenue Operations and CEO’s efficiency
- Launch and execute a Monthly newsletter for funders that comes from the desk of the CEO.
- Collaborate with the VP of Revenue Operations to implement a cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship communications plans. Including the development of messages, materials, and explanations of our work used in strategic donor communications, Annual Reports, newsletters, and other communications that advance the Beacon’s mission and visibility.
- Manage tech stack and reporting related to online advertising and donor recognition
- Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent experience in a relevant field such as business, communications, or marketing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong database and CRM management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively engage with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize competing demands
- Experience in a digital media or news organization is a plus
You may see a list of job requirements and feel that you do not have the exact combination of skills listed here, but are still interested in this role, we suggest you apply anyway. Please tell us about your other assets not mentioned here that may be valuable to this role.
The Beacon is committed to building an equitable and inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, or other marginalized groups. We are committed to reaching out to talent across a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Wichita, KS (Remote/Hybrid available within the Wichita metro area)
- Travel: 10%
- Compensation: $65,000, with competitive benefits package
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.