- 2700 Horizon Dr, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
About the organization:
Looking to build a career in nonprofit? Join AFTD, the leading organization dedicated to ending the most common dementia under 60, known as FTD. We help families affected today, and drive research to bring hope for the future. Empowering thousands of donors each year to make a difference in the lives of others is key to every aspect of our mission. Our work to bring about a world without dementia is only missing your passion and your expertise. AFTD is growing rapidly, with a greater ability to offer help for those affected than ever before. By applying for this essential role, you can take the next step in your career, and make a difference for others.
About the role:
The Development Writer is responsible for all development-related communications. Under the direction of the CFR Manager, the Development Writer will assist in drafting letters of intent, funding proposals and grant reports, and will also consult with program and senior staff members to obtain necessary information to drive AFTD’s corporate and foundation giving. They will author fundraising appeals, donor correspondence, and custom acknowledgement letters. They will also develop and maintain responsibility for formal writing targeting AFTD major donors and planned giving prospects, as well as all other fundraising and development material, including mail and electronic appeals. They will also author thank you letter templates, refining and expanding templates on an ongoing basis to ensure consistent communication with AFTD’s donors.
Essential Job Functions
- Donor and Philanthropy-Focused Content Development: In accordance with AFTD’s branding and style guidelines, as well as any formal style expectations for a particular philanthropic medium, write targeted content for fundraising appeals and other communications via e-blast, mass-mail, individual donor solicitations and a variety of other channels. Assist with translating program plans into letters of intent, concept papers and funding proposals.
Other Job Functions
- Compose templates and custom thank you letters to ensure prompt acknowledgement of all donors, in support of Development Operations Manager-led efforts to acknowledge AFTD giving
- Draft formal correspondence and other fundraising-focused materials for CEO, Senior Director of Advancement, Development Director, CFR Manager, and other staff as needed
- Support the refinement of development policies and process guidelines as guided by the Development Director
- Assist with in-person corporate/foundation/major donor outreach as requested
- Research corporate and foundation sources as well as major donor prospects using channels such as iWave
- Provide occasional editing support to other team members on related materials
- Travel for organizational meetings and events as needed
- This position is an individual contributor and does not have supervisory responsibilities
Knowledge, skills and abilities required for this role:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, or a similar field or equivalent preferred
- Equivalent experience may also be considered
- 3-5 years of professional writing experience
- 1-2 years of fundraising/development writing experience is required, with a preference for a demonstrated focus on health/science/disease-advocacy. Equivalent experience or a demonstrated aptitude for formal business writing may also be considered
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills are required
- Comfort and expertise with formal business writing is required
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple deadlines is required
- Comfort working with mail merges as well as an adaptability to different technologies and platforms is a plus
The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
AFTD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) guidelines.
AFTD offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. This is a hybrid position, with the option to work remotely up to 3 days per week.
If you are interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.