Administrative Assistant - Research
- 2700 Horizon Dr, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Looking for a purpose-driven role with a dedicated nonprofit team? AFTD is hiring!
Help us lead the fight against young-onset dementia. Dedicated to addressing frontotemporal degeneration (FTD), the most common dementia for people under 60, AFTD is a leading global authority on this disease. We are the only national U.S. organization dedicated both to advancing FTD research and providing help and support to improve quality of life for people affected today.
AFTD is mission-driven. Founded by a volunteer in 2002, AFTD raises awareness of this misunderstood disease while supporting people with FTD and their families. We educate healthcare professionals and advance collaborative research. We have a growing staff and a robust national network of thousands of volunteers and individual donors, dedicated to achieving a world with compassionate care, effective support, and a future free of FTD. For all who can benefit from it, we bring information, resources, and opportunities to connect – seeking to change the experience of a devastating disease from one of isolation to one of empowerment and connection.
Help us bring hope. AFTD channels the pioneering spirit of Helen-Ann Comstock, our founder and Board member who saw a world lacking resources to address FTD and chose to take action. As colleagues, we continue Helen-Ann’s work, and we do so with determination, creativity, compassion and resolve. AFTD strives to create a place where team members can learn, grow and support each other. If you have always had a passion to make a positive difference in people’s lives – but are seeking a way to channel that passion – we are assembling the team to do just that. We hope you’ll join us by applying for an essential role!
Join our team. AFTD seeks a driven and talented professional to take on the role of Administrative Assistant - Research. If the idea of bringing information, resources, help, support and hope for a better future to families across the U.S. is compelling – and if you bring a natural talent for organizing, supporting and communicating with others– a role at AFTD could be a great fit for you.
The Administrative Assistant - Research is responsible for managing the day to day administrative requirements of the Research Department and the Senior Director of Scientific Initiatives. S/he will work directly with all department team members and will have intermittent interaction with AFTD’s research grantees, Research Committee and Registry members. S/he will also support AFTD’s Research team members with meeting scheduling and preparation. The Administrative Assistant - Research will support the Research department throughout the full lifecycle of research awards and will support the updating and maintenance of all information pertaining to the awards and organizations on team-utilized platforms including Salesforce, Zengine, BoardEffect and others as appropriate. S/he will also carry out research tasks as requested in support of the team and will act as a member of the organization’s administrative resource pool, supporting various administrative projects, event and meeting planning as requested.
Essential Job Functions
- Grant Program Support: In coordination with the Scientific Research Manager, become the lead administrative coordinator of grant awards, accepting and awarding grant agreements and providing routine follow–up with grant recipients to ensure accurate and timely completion of reporting requirements. Liaise with the finance department as needed to ensure acquisition of all grant-related information. Maintain up-to-date and accurate records in Salesforce and Zengine and develop and pull reports on this information as requested. Complete routine correspondence with grant recipients to provide support in administrative matters. Schedule grant review calls and, with proactively coordinated review from the Director of Scientific Initiatives or the Scientific Research Manager, draft and distribute the call agenda.
- Coordinate Research Conferences and Meetings: Support members of the Research team in the scheduling of meetings and ensure that all invitees have necessary materials including the current agenda and meeting minutes from the prior session. Maintain up-to-date Research team presentation decks and draft routine correspondence with speakers, panelists and attendees. Maintain and update invitation lists and sponsored participant information. Schedule planning calls with discussion panelists, steering committee and other groups as needed and complete post-meeting communications and data collection.
- Departmental Support: Provide administrative support to the Research department and to the Senior Director of Scientific Initiatives through calendar maintenance, expense processing, travel booking and setting up polling for meeting purposes.
- Organization Support: Provide backup coverage for other administrative functions across AFTD including reception coverage. Assist in the maintenance of office and kitchen supplies as requested.
Other Job Functions
- Conscientiously follow company policies and practices and take care of organizational property.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel for organizational meetings and events as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or Associate’s degree plus equivalent experience will also be considered. Science focus is highly desirable
- 2 years of nonprofit experience or other relevant experience preferred
- Prior experience in an administrative role preferred. This can include volunteer activity
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required
- Salesforce or other CRM experience strongly preferred
- Database maintenance and management skills preferred
- Readily learns and adopts new technologies that may benefit the organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and comfort working and building relationships with wide-ranging community online, by phone and in person
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated active listening skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to work on a wide variety of projects; lending support where needed
- Ability to approach work with a pleasant and professional demeanor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AFTD values its staff and all who work with us to advance our mission. We practice trust, cultivate creativity, and incorporate input from all, seeking to grow and learn in service to families at every stage on an FTD journey.
If you are interested in learning more about this excellent career opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.